PDA

View Full Version : GSR won't start, just clicks

IOnlyLookStock
01-26-2007, 12:26 PM
So every so often My 94 GSR just wont start. It just clicks when you try to start it kind of like the battery is dead. But the battery isn't dead. I just turn the key and hold in the clutch and clicky. It usually does this like five times then starts right up, but today it just clicks. No starting, It did a half-turn over once, but thats it.

I checked plugs and wires, they are good. Any opinions???

BTLFED
01-26-2007, 12:26 PM
It sounds like the starter is bad.

kennyboi
01-26-2007, 12:29 PM
^^ or maybe bad alternator.

IOnlyLookStock
01-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Alt. is new, im thinking the starter, but if it was the starter, then why would it 8 of ten times start right up?

its just the other 2 of ten when it just clicks.

SLow_POke
01-26-2007, 12:32 PM
you need neweR VTEC HEAD

silversol
01-26-2007, 12:33 PM
the silanoid on the starter so new starter time!

N/A EK
01-26-2007, 12:36 PM
turn the ignition to the on position, leave it there dont crank it....put it in second gear, tell someone to push you down the road...when you get a little of speed let of the clutch slowely (sp)...and it should star...if the car starts like that, than mostlikely it's the starter. If not than I it could many different things.

Sol-Badguy
01-26-2007, 12:37 PM
turn the ignition to the on position, leave it there dont crank it....put it in second gear, tell someone to push you down the road...when you get a little of speed let of the clutch slowely (sp)...and it should star...if the car starts like that, than mostlikely it's the starter. If not than I it could many different things.
x2.

jmmx258
01-26-2007, 12:39 PM

As stupid an idea as that sounds. Its true. If you can get the motor to start by turning it slower than what the starter would crank it, than thats going to tell you whether your starters bad or not. My dad taught me this when was 16, and having problems with my first civic.

Deffinetly sounds like the starter silenoid going bad though.

SLow_POke
01-26-2007, 12:47 PM
you need neweR VTEC HEAD

:stupid: :guitar:

Sammich
01-26-2007, 12:52 PM
it could be battery connection

93H22ACX
01-26-2007, 12:56 PM
^^^ yep.. can be the battery terminal connection. my jeep and van does that all the time. if you jump start it and it starts up...try cleaning the connection between the terminal and the wires.

Sol-Badguy
01-26-2007, 12:58 PM
^^^ yep.. can be the battery terminal connection. my jeep and van does that all the time. if you jump start it and it starts up...try cleaning the connection between the terminal and the wires.
x2 again.

I forgot about that.

kennyboi
01-26-2007, 01:18 PM
my friend civic did that it was a bad connection to his starter

IOnlyLookStock
01-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the help people. I popped the clutch and it started right up, so I have come to the conclusion that it must be the starter.

I'm gonna pick one up tomorrow and put it on.

Once again thanks to everyone for the help.

Fr33way
01-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Starter/solenoid. It's actually lucky that it gave some signs before it went. Try banging on it, you would be suprised how well it works. If you can get it to start after banging, it's most likely an electrical component in the starter.

Jblizzard
01-26-2007, 06:14 PM
its the starter...my friends teggy did the same thing

twinj
01-26-2007, 06:42 PM
My car was doing that and i replace the starter and it still did it. It could be a ground somewhere. The case with my car was that it use to be an automatic and they switch it over to 5spd and when they did that something with the clutch swith(the switch that kills the starter) it was not grounded properly and my car would just click. Basically i am saying it could be a ground.

93H22ACX
01-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Basically i am saying it could be a ground.

:goodjob:

popping the clutch is pretty much like jump starting an automatic car. Like a few of us said earlier..... when its dead, try using jumper cables and jump start it using another car.

You dont want to spend the money on a starter when you can just clean the terminal connections for free :)

just my :2cents:

green91
01-28-2007, 08:52 AM
It it just one click or multiple clicks when trying to start? If its one click your starter contacts are bad, you can either replace them or buy a new starter. If its multiple clicks its something battery or connection related. How did you test the battery? A battery can still read good voltage but not have enough CCA to start the car. Check all your terminals , ground strap and cable to the starter.

IOnlyLookStock
01-29-2007, 02:55 PM
I checked all the terminals and it was the starter, So i went and bought one. and just got finished putting it on.

Car starts up fine now and Im happy once again.

P.s. - That bottom mounting bolt for the starter was a bee-otch to get to.