PDA

View Full Version : put into 1st gear while reversing Help!!!!!

caspertheskater
01-23-2007, 09:12 PM
My bro was in a rush to work the other day and he reversing out of our driveway which is pretty steep and accidently put the car into first gear while the car was still going backwards at around 6-10 miles an hour and he heard a loud pop noise. He has a 98 civic dx (5 speed). Since then there is a very strong smell of gas like a gocart smells kinda and the car shakes now when you are not moving. It is also very studery when accelerating. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with it or what coulda happened cuz have no idea. thanks.

~The_Duke~
01-23-2007, 09:13 PM
I hate to break it to ya, but you are prolly going to need a need tranny cas some teeth on some gears sounds like they popped off...

speedminded
01-23-2007, 09:21 PM
My bro was in a rush to work the other day and he reversing out of our driveway which is pretty steep and accidently put the car into first gear while the car was still going backwards at around 6-10 miles an hour and he heard a loud pop noise. He has a 98 civic dx (5 speed). Since then there is a very strong smell of gas like a gocart smells kinda and the car shakes now when you are not moving. It is also very studery when accelerating. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with it or what coulda happened cuz have no idea. thanks.That doesn't have anything to do with the transmission or putting it in first while reversing...just about the only thing that would happen is break an axle and that's not the case. I'd be tracing the fuel issue....

EvasiveEF9
01-23-2007, 09:27 PM
My thought is that he blew a ring, or possibly messed up a valve...think about it, it forced the engine to try to turn backwards while it was in motion forward. I know it CAN be the tranny, but usually those tranny's are a little stronger than that...

Do you have a major loss of power, or have you checked for any smoke out the back? Let us know what you find...

EmminoDaGreat
01-23-2007, 09:35 PM
just because your going in reverse, doesnt make the engine go the opposite direction...

speedminded
01-23-2007, 09:36 PM
My thought is that he blew a ring, or possibly messed up a valve...think about it, it forced the engine to try to turn backwards while it was in motion forward. I know it CAN be the tranny, but usually those tranny's are a little stronger than that...

Do you have a major loss of power, or have you checked for any smoke out the back? Let us know what you find...engines don't change directions ;) the crankshaft & mainshaft going into the transmission always turns the same direction...then the transmission changes the rotation of the axles or driveshaft.

EmminoDaGreat
01-23-2007, 09:38 PM
bahaha sorry ;D

EvasiveEF9
01-23-2007, 09:45 PM
No no no...what I'm saying is if he's in first gear and the car is rolling backwards and the clutch happens to hold...the transmission would be trying to spin the engine backwards, wouldn't it? Or at least trying to stall it out REALLY quick. Which would be equivalent to shoving a stick in the wheel of a 3yr old riding his bicycle...

:lmao: Just thinking abotu that makes me laugh...

GTScoob
01-23-2007, 10:04 PM
well he'd have to give it gas and slip the clutch or it would stall, the engine isnt going to start spinning backwards until it has stopped spinning forwards.

If anything the clutch would be taking the brunt of the pressure since it's having to act as a brake before the car begins to move forward.

EvasiveEF9
01-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Well, that's what I'm saying is not neccessarily that the engine SPUN backwards, but had backwards pressure. Almost as if the piston had detonation...?

koukis14
01-24-2007, 12:07 AM
You either jumped timing causing poor combustion...or popped a motor mount and now the engine is shaking like hell and tugging on a fuel line making it leak.

.blank cd
01-24-2007, 02:25 AM
nothing is wrong in the engine at all. you've bent something in the transmission. probably a mainshaft. The engine does not change direction forward to backwards. its your transmission that does that

Siverprobegt
01-24-2007, 06:28 AM
sound like he broke an engine mount too

Siverprobegt
01-24-2007, 06:35 AM
sound like he broke an engine mount too

EvasiveEF9
01-24-2007, 07:18 AM
You either jumped timing causing poor combustion
Damn...good call, I didn't even think of that...

Halfwit
01-24-2007, 07:30 AM
those trannys are pretty strong, putting in first under 10mph shouldnt rly hurt it.

EvasiveEF9
01-24-2007, 10:40 AM
those trannys are pretty strong, putting in first under 10mph shouldnt rly hurt it.
Not what I heard. Grapevine told me it could blow up a small country! :yes:

SLow_POke
01-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Not what I heard. Grapevine told me it could blow up a small country! :yes:

did he also tell you the engine rotates both way ?

you need a new vtec head:goodjob: .

and listen to speed minded;)

EvasiveEF9
01-24-2007, 01:41 PM
did he also tell you the engine rotates both way ?

you need a new vtec head:goodjob: .

and listen to speed minded;)
No, but he DID say to check my blinker fluid. I still can't find it... :no:

LoL, I never said it rotates both ways...I don't think :thinking: What I put was that the engine was being PUSHED to spin backwards. Mean that if he's in first gear, and he's rolling backwards, and the clutch held the pressure, the clutch would be TRYING to turn the engine backwards. I never said it would succeed in doing so, just that that's the direction of the force if you're rolling backwards in first gear, and you drop the clutch? Maybe I'm just sucking at explaining this...

caspertheskater
01-24-2007, 05:04 PM
thanks for everyones help, there has been a lot less power, but theres no extra smoke comining out the back. As far as an engine mount, how much about does it cost to replace?

Wurm
01-24-2007, 05:12 PM
thanks for everyones help, there has been a lot less power, but theres no extra smoke comining out the back. As far as an engine mount, how much about does it cost to replace?

oem or aftermarket

40 bucks - 300 bucks

EvasiveEF9
01-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Check autozone for like...what, 30-40bucks with lifetime warranty? You'll be able to look and tell if it broke, though...

koukis14
01-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Pop your hood and either have someone watch the engine or look at it through the gap in at the bottom of the winshield. Start the car, set the parking brake and push down the brake pedal pretty hard. Put the car in first and let the clutch out till it starts to catch and bog the engine down. DO NOT LET THE CAR MOVE. The engine should have no more then 3-4 inches of movement. If it flops around like a dead fish you have a broken motor mount. If you have no power and are blowing smoke and smell gass I am 99% sure you have jumped timing.

caspertheskater
01-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Thanks a lot im gunna check it out this weekend and try to get it fixed.