PDA

View Full Version : Can a woman..

tony
01-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Raise a boy to become a man? A female friend and I go back and forth on this issue. With 60% of marriages ending these days there are quite a few single mothers out there. I tend to think there are certain things that a woman could never teach a boy, at some point a strong male figure would have to be in his life.

As much as I care for gay rights I guess I would have to say that two women raising a boy could never be as effective as 1 male figure. Agree or Disagree?

edit: preface this by saying a woman can raise a boy.. I agree with that but raising a boy to become a man is something totally different.

~The_Duke~
01-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Well then I guess in theroy a man could not raise a girl to become a woman?

I agree to an extent, because while growing up the boy would more than likely come in contact with some sort of male role model wither it be a teacher at school or a athelte. While this is not nearly as 'effective' as having a full time father figure in place it can still get the job done.

Leisa
01-23-2007, 07:20 PM
I think a man can raise a girl into a woman, and I think a women can raise a boy to be a man... its all in how you do it.. and emphasise it on the children...

Evil Goat
01-23-2007, 07:22 PM
depends on how you categorize a "man".....to me being a man is being self sufficient and responsible, if you say a woman cant do that then youre retarted, plenty of single parents out there that are raising people to become self sufficient responsible adults

i work with several single parents, suprisingly 1 of the 5 or so are female, and id say judging from meeting their kids, seeing their kids accomplishments in school and life that theyre doing a damn good job at it....id argue its harder to raise a child w/ two parents b/c each parent comes into the situation with their own ideas and 9 times out of 10 they will treat situations differently and unless both parents get on the same mind track then one parent will always be the favorite and the other will always be the enemy (this was the way my personal childhood was, my dad would cover for me and my mom would be ready to kick my ass, i hated my mom growing up but after my son was born i realized im a carbon copy of my mother and now im ready to lay the law down and see why she did what she did and im glad that she held her ground, now if i could only get my wife on board id be set, we're raising a mommas boy for sure)

xLSTONEx
01-23-2007, 07:27 PM
fuck gay rights and fuck gays. that is all.

00CelicaGT
01-23-2007, 07:29 PM
I disagree because it's something's a woman cant teach, like hoe to be a man. Not a wannabe man a real man who respects himself, other's, wife, family, things a father should teach his some. Also wat happens alot is since the woman cant teach the boy to be a man in certain aspecs, the boy will look for a male figure to look up to and 9 times out of 10 it's the type of person who is a criminal or involved in things that will put him in jail. just my opinion good topic though.:goodjob:

ksinao
01-23-2007, 07:30 PM
dont agree. i think a woman can raise a man, and vise versa.

5thgcelica
01-23-2007, 07:34 PM
nope. i dont think they can. can they do a pretty good job? yeah. but there will still always be certain things that a boy needs influence from a man, just like a girl will need influence from a woman.

kittychick
01-23-2007, 07:34 PM
i think there are a lot of 'softie' moms out there with kids that grow up to be softie women
you need a strong male figure to beat the snot out of little boys so they grow up to be strong men
:goodjob:

ShooterMcGavin
01-23-2007, 09:14 PM
yes

Lucky DAWG
01-23-2007, 09:19 PM
a single mom can do it, you don't have to find a strong male influence in a dad or your mom's boyfriend or something.

You can find an older guy you work with or a neighbor who teaches you things and shares his wisdom with you, or some kids i know idolize a star or someone on tv or something like that or a sports hero. A single parent can do it, a kid will find someone else to fill the void one way or another, whether its effective or not varies greatly.

and lesbian moms... ehhhh.....

did anyone see the kid on mtv's true life where the kid was finding out who his real dad was bc his mom"s" were lesbians, that kid was gay as fuck haha

Evil Goat
01-23-2007, 09:24 PM
nope. i dont think they can. can they do a pretty good job? yeah. but there will still always be certain things that a boy needs influence from a man, just like a girl will need influence from a woman.

im curious, explain :thinking:

DnBmama05
01-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Raise a boy to become a man? A female friend and I go back and forth on this issue. With 60% of marriages ending these days there are quite a few single mothers out there. I tend to think there are certain things that a woman could never teach a boy, at some point a strong male figure would have to be in his life.

As much as I care for gay rights I guess I would have to say that two women raising a boy could never be as effective as 1 male figure. Agree or Disagree?

edit: preface this by saying a woman can raise a boy.. I agree with that but raising a boy to become a man is something totally different.

I think strong is the key word in that. So what if you have a male figure if he's a slacker. I don't necessarily think anyone raises a boy to become a man. I think parents can hinder their kids growing up into men/women by babying them too much, but I personally believe life itself turns a boy into a man - not the parents. There are still a lot of 35 year old boys out there. I think what makes a boy a man is when he can handle life - through thick and thin - and no matter how tough it gets still keeps going without feeling like they need to find an escape of some sort. A man faces his problems and deals with them - a boy runs and hides from them. That is just my two cents. Parents lay the foundation, but it's up to the boy to grow up and learn how to be a man.

Lucky DAWG
01-23-2007, 10:04 PM
I think strong is the key word in that. So what if you have a male figure if he's a slacker. I don't necessarily think anyone raises a boy to become a man. I think parents can hinder their kids growing up into men/women by babying them too much, but I personally believe life itself turns a boy into a man - not the parents. There are still a lot of 35 year old boys out there. I think what makes a boy a man is when he can handle life - through thick and thin - and no matter how tough it gets still keeps going without feeling like they need to find an escape of some sort. A man faces his problems and deals with them - a boy runs and hides from them. That is just my two cents. Parents lay the foundation, but it's up to the boy to grow up and learn how to be a man.

well put, rep coming ur way

Tasuki_Civic
01-23-2007, 10:30 PM
I think a man can raise a girl into a woman, and I think a women can raise a boy to be a man... its all in how you do it.. and emphasise it on the children...

Thank you leisa i could have never said it better :goodjob: :goodjob:

Tasuki_Civic
01-23-2007, 10:35 PM
everything doesnt have to be 50 50 in raising a child. i know a male who was raised by to les'zies and he is not sensitive nor gay and doesnt have worst problems like those who are rasied in a str8 mom and dad lifestyle

tony
01-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Heres the point though and I'm really not trying to offend anyone, I know a single mother can and will do it, I never said they couldn't. I grew up with 3 older sisters and my mother.. no man in the house but I still had my brother in law set an example and my dad was around from time to time.

My point is raising a boy into a man, a man being someone who has respect for himself and takes care of his responsibilities. Maturity plays a big part in that, every boy goes through that phase of rebellion, and in a lot of cases mothers do not know how to handle that phase.

I think the reason why you see a lot of immature guys acting like they do is because there was no father figure there to begin with, there are exceptions but they're not common.

RandomGuy
01-23-2007, 10:54 PM
lol some dikes are more manly than anyone on here ... lol chu talkin about willis..

I bet Rosie O'Donnell pisses standing up.

carito1
01-24-2007, 04:06 PM
i think a woman can raise a boy to be a man how many single mothers out there have done it.... is no different!

FDslider
01-24-2007, 06:14 PM
When I was a kid, I had to watch and listen as my parents got into fights. My dad would beat on my mother and there was nothing I could do. What did that mother fucker teach me? I hate the son of a bitch and he can die in hell.

After the divorce, I decided to live with my mother and she has done an excellent job bringing me up and teaching me everything I need to know. So, it all depends on the situation. The environment, the parents, and even the child factor into it. You must be more specific in your question in order to get what you are looking for.

MR. 200SX
01-24-2007, 09:34 PM
I do believe a single strong woman can raise her child to become a man but I don't believe a woman and her Dike "husband" can. That child will grow up with ALOT of issues.