PDA

View Full Version : Think you'll ever grow out of the "scene"

tony
01-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Or whatever you would call it.. I think my turning point came this past weekend when I attended my 5 year olds basketball game, the feeling was 10x what any car ever gave me. Since then I seriously do not understand the point of street racing. Having a billion horses under the hood isn't as impressive as it was before, I still consider myself an enthusiast but it seems that the cars I'm impressed by do not require modifications or at the most small changes. (wheels, drop, etc) I love the idea of driving a Porsche to its limits on a road course but on the street? I'll pass..

At 26 I think I am beginning to change, think it will happen to you?

RutRoe
01-23-2007, 01:28 PM
All I can say is congratulations...but I think that's more you maturing then thinking the "scene" is where it's at.

Now you'll start thinking "is the car that I have my 5 year old safe enough?" and that's awesome that you're having those feelings....good for you.

imbosile
01-23-2007, 01:31 PM
I'm sure it will happen to everyone, some later than others. In a way, I hope I don't grow out of until I'm a lot older so I can own some of the cars I want now.

tony
01-23-2007, 01:39 PM
I definitely consider him when it comes to what I want next, I had no problems with the G35 and suprisingly the two coupe is pretty safe. But now that he's getting older something like an M5, E55, or RS4 appeals to me more than the GT-R.

It probably is a maturity thing, I saw a guy post up about his friend that died in a street race. He said his friend was experienced and knew what he was doing but still managed to kill himself and his girlfriend during a race. All I can see is someone trying to explain to my son how or why his father isn't around any more and its enough to make me change my view on certain things. Will I criticize? No, I still have friends that do it and if they put their life on the line to get from point A to point B faster than the next guy that is on them, personally I'm just not getting it any more.

My fascination with speed is not gone, I guess what I see as rational has changed.

tony
01-23-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm sure it will happen to everyone, some later than others. In a way, I hope I don't grow out of until I'm a lot older so I can own some of the cars I want now.

I felt the same way and I'm really fighting the feeling but its to the point where I'm forcing myself to be interested. Lately when I come to IA I don't read threads about cars, I just read about whats going on and see different opinions on issues... not to mention the drama.

RutRoe
01-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Totally...realizing that every time you're behind the wheel, not just when you're racing you put your life and other's lives on the line is a huge thing.

I just got an STI and find myself driving slower than when I had my integra because I'd rather race it on a track somewhere and not risk hurting it or myself or someone I care about like my wife.

It's a good parallel with trying to not get pissed off when people are idiots behind the wheel. I used to talk about how much I hate stupid people especially when they drive, but in the end, it's just not worth getting upset over. We've all got too much to risk.

But, like I said, good for you. It's a decision that you will hopefully see more of your friends make when they realize life isn't about what they're so in to.

Sammich
01-23-2007, 01:44 PM
maybe into a diff scene..i may go to an old skool vehicle where all the muscle(hp) lies

but for the most part, no

{X}Echo419
01-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Or whatever you would call it.. I think my turning point came this past weekend when I attended my 5 year olds basketball game, the feeling was 10x what any car ever gave me. Since then I seriously do not understand the point of street racing. Having a billion horses under the hood isn't as impressive as it was before, I still consider myself an enthusiast but it seems that the cars I'm impressed by do not require modifications or at the most small changes. (wheels, drop, etc) I love the idea of driving a Porsche to its limits on a road course but on the street? I'll pass..

when I saw Fast & the Furious :tongue1:

chrisdavis
01-23-2007, 01:53 PM
I feel you. I grew out of it awhile ago. After I bought my house and got into remodeling it, I really lost interest in modding cars. However I still enjoy seeing other peoples work and watching the new trends.

Bruce Leroy
01-23-2007, 01:55 PM
hmmm... I don't think that it will happen to me. I enjoy modifying cars.... period. Not just imports, or fast cars, every kind of car. Slow, fast, big or little, donks, hondas, muscle cars, german, vip, whatever. Cars are so much more than just a machine to me. They are a expressession of the driver, and his/her personal tastes. I might not be in the import "scene" forever, but I will always surround myself with people who enjoy cars as much as I do and that will be my "scene".

man
01-23-2007, 01:56 PM
I've grown out of the "I need 1200hp in my $5000 car" scene, but I will always be an automotive enthusiast. I'm really getting into vintage (and some newer) exotics : Ferrari 166MM, Lamborghini Miura, Ferrari 275 GTB4...etc.

Brett
01-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Honestly, Im sure it will happen to me, Just not sure when. Every year I say to myself this is my last year, But then when I got the makeover done on the civic last year that reinfused me to keep going and with what I have getting done now and the plans for the end of this year, I just dont see me getting out anytime soon.

Sammich
01-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Honestly, Im sure it will happen to me, Just not sure when. Every year I say to myself this is my last year, But then when I got the makeover done on the civic last year that reinfused me to keep going and with what I have getting done now and the plans for the end of this year, I just dont see me getting out anytime soon.

i cnt either u dnt have enough time left on ur clock...old man river

Julio
01-23-2007, 02:02 PM
I feel you... Ive been in your shoes man... Now I thinking BIGGER and BETTER things.
Is just you get older.. smarter.. wiser.... thats all. And of course more priorities...

I love cars, always will.. Will I do an all out Show or track car or something.. naw....

4dmin
personally i think age just changes your view... i love cars (period). there is not car that stock wouldn't look better lowered with some nice wheels on it; or lifted if its a nice truck.

the point is your priorities change; i'm going to be 27 in feb, the more time that passes, the more simple my taste get and the more expensive. i will always enjoy cars and as long as julio/i have IA i plan on being part of the everyday changing scene. But i will agree i have slow down quite a bit as well, i love my wife dearly and the time i spend with her can't be replaced by a CAR ;)

just find a nice balance in life for your hobbies, toys, friends, family and your good to go!

Brady
ehh i don't know if it'll ever happen to me. My dad is 62 this year and still enfatuated with more power. Whether its was his cts-v he supercharged, his 996 he chipped, or hell even his boat (supercharged/sprayed 504 in a python).

Bruce Leroy
i cnt either u dnt have enough time left on ur clock...old man river

lirl

Leadfoot_mf
01-23-2007, 02:18 PM
nope just the expense of what i have / want goes up.

PhAtBoYMr2
01-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Iv'e outgrown the "scene" since i was probaly 18. I got sick of going to shows, got sick of going to the track and got sick of street racing. I will still do these thing every now and then but i just dont get the same feeling as i was younger.

As far as driving and modifying cars go it's been something i've been into since i was a little kid. I would always collect toy cars and my dad took me to my first car show when i was 8 and ever since then it was a wrap

i figure the older i get and the more money i make will just put me in a different class of what cars to modify and so on. If your really into cars and such it's something that never really "leaves" you because it will always be a big part of your life weather you did it now or you did it before your always going to remember it.

Brett
01-23-2007, 02:29 PM
If your really into cars and such it's something that never really "leaves" you because it will always be a big part of your life weather you did it now or you did it before your always going to remember it.

:goodjob:

Jecht
01-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Lol, I was never seriously in the scene in the first place. I pick decent modifications to my car to make it better, but I consider practicality when choosing my modifications. There is a reason that I will probably not go further than proven bolt ons, OEM upgrades, and replacement parts.

PhAtBoYMr2
01-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Like for instance my dad is like 46 and his favorite car ever was like an 86 corolla or whatever so when sees teenagers driving and modding them he always says it brings back memories of his younger years and how he wishes he could relive it and shit.

Think about it, when i'm in my 50's and an mr2 rolls by me i'm going to think the same thing "man i still wish i had one of those, i loved those things"

05Tib
01-23-2007, 02:36 PM
i got T-boned (not at fault) in my 97 modded Tiburon and it tore the car apart and almost me and this time around getting hit wit the 05 Tiburon and it still jacked me and my car up. I have decided to leave the car scene, get something bigger and go to shows to watch, help friends work on their cars and go to the track to watch. As much as i enjoy it, now im selling off the parts i bought for the car and the price u pay new vs what u can get when some have only been used for a month sucks.

Jimmy B
01-23-2007, 03:02 PM

about 2 years ago i had that happen to me.. i still enjjoy cars, but there are so many more things that get me going than cars..

BTW, im 26

Humphrizzle
01-23-2007, 03:11 PM
i've never been in the scene really.. i like the cars, i go to shows and meets just to look and understand the cars.

the reason i started getting on the forums was because i wanted to greaten my knowledge about my own car and how other people experienced when something broke or messed up.

i have a 00 Civic SI and everyone wants to race me. i dont race. I want to make my car look and run good and have a BMW 330Ci or 328iS or something that already looks amazing but they are now coming into the scene too.

Evil Goat
01-23-2007, 03:32 PM
age will most certainly change things for most people, i never dreamt the day that i wouldnt go WOT everywhere i went until my son was born, that changed everything, but it hasnt been a cold turkey overnight change for me, ive struggled the last three years with decisions, going from a gixxer 600 & a turbo civic to a stock acura cl within a few months of my son being born, i then got this crazy idea to s/c a f150 and have room and fun at the same time, that lasted about 4 months when i came across a cobra, and i dropped all rationality and bought the cobra before i could even sell the truck, i had the cobra about a year and had tons of fun in that car and sold it last may, and bought an 03 r6 special edition to take its place, got hit in july, totaled the bike, and almost took me out, spent 2 months at home in slings and braces before i could go back to work and as bad as i want to get on another bike and prove to myself that i wont let it or bad drivers determine my enjoyment in life it just isnt worth it, now im back to daily commuting w/ an SUV (something i swore id never have, growing up in a muslce car family suv's are shunned, and im still the only one that owns one)

the good thing about age though is patience, when i was a teenager id do whatever it took to buy car parts (legally anyway, i worked 45+hours a week through the last 2 years of highschool and all through college) and i thought i had to have everything that everyone else thought was cool, i then spent the next 3 years mix matching what i liked on my car and the end result was much much better, ive spent the last 7 months contemplating on what i want to build next (something that never would have happened 4-5 years ago) i used to buy cars on impulse and ive now looked at over 20 cars (complete cars, rolling chassis, suspension less cars, you name it ive probably looked at it over the last few months) over the past 7 months, doing research almost every night and ultimatley trying to figure out what exactly it is i want to do, i dont care about originality though for me its all about whats appealing to me and what i feel comfortable with

civic95
01-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Already happened. I probably won't mod a car with more than a set of wheels in the future. I'd rather buy a nice car than mod a cheap one. IS350 w/ a set of wheels will make me happy. No reason to do anything else to a car like that IMO. Besides a bike is always more fun than a car can be, and a whole lot cheaper.

quickdodgeŽ
01-23-2007, 03:40 PM
there is not car that stock wouldn't look better lowered with some nice wheels on it; or lifted if its a nice truck.

That describes, exactly, how I feel. I am(have been) completely out of this tuning thing. I am, however, back into lowriding. But I will always have a lowered car. Later, QD.

gijoe0720
01-23-2007, 04:26 PM
I got out of the import scene about 9 months ago. Now I am into mini trucks. I am in the process of building one right now.

blacknightteg
01-23-2007, 04:57 PM
for me, im not really sure. I mean my teg is really my first car i have ever really dont any modifications too. Now, there have been a good multitude of times that i have had doubts about doing anythnig to my car. whether it was worth it or not was always on my mind. I never new if it was a good idea to do what i wanted to do, whether it would cause later reprocutions, money wise. well i mean lately i said fuck it and started doing things to my car.....i decided, i only live once, why not live it with the things that i want to live it with. I hope that made sense. Now granted, im still at a point where im thinking...hmm...why do all this to a car when in a few years im going to want to get something diffferent. but untill i come up with a true answer...im just going to do waht i want, when i want to do it and if that means putting shit onto a car that i bought myself for the first time and make my car a peice of art in my eyes, then thats what im going to do.

05Tib
01-23-2007, 09:10 PM
for me, im not really sure. I mean my teg is really my first car i have ever really dont any modifications too. Now, there have been a good multitude of times that i have had doubts about doing anythnig to my car. whether it was worth it or not was always on my mind. I never new if it was a good idea to do what i wanted to do, whether it would cause later reprocutions, money wise. well i mean lately i said fuck it and started doing things to my car.....i decided, i only live once, why not live it with the things that i want to live it with. I hope that made sense. Now granted, im still at a point where im thinking...hmm...why do all this to a car when in a few years im going to want to get something diffferent. but untill i come up with a true answer...im just going to do waht i want, when i want to do it and if that means putting shit onto a car that i bought myself for the first time and make my car a peice of art in my eyes, then thats what im going to do.

i did that too, started thinking about selling the Tib then decided to keep it. got motor mounts, new intake manifolds, a tuner, got it tuned, painted the calipers, took apart the headlights and painted the inside to flow more with the color of the car and carbon fiber hood. finally got my front bumper painted from a small fender bender a yr ago and then friday got nailed by a truck and looking at the possbility of a total loss. A tuner i bought a month ago for $250 new i just had to sell for $190 including shipping... Its fun while it last but sucks if something like this happens. I think aslong as you go about modding a car knowing that one day that money could go to complete waste and u can accept that then mod on. If not then a new hobby might be a good idea.

Big Baller
01-23-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm so there right now. I've started getting rid of a bunch of my cars. I just don't want to own 7 cars anymore. I just want a couple of nice cars. Its just not as much fun as it used to be.

HOWEVER
I find myself enjoying track days more and more. Its an older more mature crowd, theres no drama everyone is just there to have a good time.

Matt

StupidBikerBoy
01-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Priorities and what makes you happy changes through life, and children are always a big part of it.

I'm still in the scene, but nowhere near as much since my daughter was born.

koukis14
01-23-2007, 11:25 PM
I won't but I will probably slow down....Or work my ASS off so can afford a family and a sick fucking car...or two. I see alot of older guys will rods and muscle cars. Thats us in 20-30 years.

Bballjamal
01-23-2007, 11:33 PM
My problem is being surrounded by finer cars in the tuning world, and I just want to move up to a luxury 4dr with enough potential to make me happy, and have enough power stock to hold me over until I can afford to attain that potential :lmfao: !

Like, I'd kill for a B5 Biturbo S4 right now......especially with the prices going down... :idb:

Or just take the CLK430 we have and do light mods to make me happy for the tme being....

PSINXS
01-23-2007, 11:42 PM
never. its nto just a scene for me, its a passion.

Hektik
01-24-2007, 12:09 AM
lately ive seen myself start to distance my self more and more from going out like i used to before. mostly due to my daughter and wanting to spend as much time with her as possible. hopefully once she gets alittle older ill be able to share my passion for all aspects of the sport with her more. for now i mostly sit her on my lap and watch Le'Mans on speed or overhaulin and stuff of that nature. she really seems to enjoy it atleast for an 18month old. i dont really think ill ever be over my passion for cars and the sport of racing. i just think ill mature more and want to do it in different ways with different sttyle of cars.. it all goes with maturity and the ongoing process of life's teachings. i hope to someday be able to sit in the stands while my daughter drives the car WE built. of course if thats not her decision then ill have to make changes in my dreams lol. but ill always have my love for cars...

Echonova
01-24-2007, 12:13 AM
As I have gotten older (33 now), things do change with kids. I still can't see driving some 4 door luxo-barge. Scenes change, but if you can find a group of real car guys....and girls, they are the best people on earth. My oldest daughter loves turning wrenches with me and I wouldn't trade that for the world. How many 10 year olds can tell what a blow-off valve is? FMIC, turbos and how they work. Upside of being older and wiser, you see fads come and go (can't wait for drifting to leave center stage) and you build the car for you, the way YOU want it. Not to impress the kids at the mall parking lot, or for the ricer revving at you at the stop light----while your in the turning lane. I'm in for life. Wife can have the mini-van.:D

RandomGuy
01-24-2007, 12:45 AM
i'm kind of sure I wont grow out but theres no way of telling... Unlike alot of the ppl on IA, and current car enthusiasts, the whole "tuner boom era" circa 1998ish til current is what brought them in, (not that theres anything wrong with that...) Just was kinda trendy, "fixin" up cars and shit.

I've been beyond fascinated with cars since before I got my first NES 1... which I only got for RAD RACER :) and not MARIO heh.

At a young age i turned into a super car enthusiast like a mofo... ( i still have road & track and car & driver, etc mags all sequential dating from like 93 to like 96 (it may not sound like a lot but its a SHITLOAD of magazines.) So much that it took up most of the space under my bed... before we moved... I'd read those shits religiously back in the day... and to this day I still remember some shit... Like I remember the cover on one of them was like "Worlds fastest" and it was unveiling the new EB110 (v12, 4 turbos, AWD) and there was a grey one and a blue one driving parallel on a bank turn.
lol haha shit like that. I got REEEAALLY deep into model cars (like to a point where i was waking up early to work on some).. i made a red lambo countach 25th anniversary (down to a T, was like a stage 3 kit (which has a shitload of peices and you gotta paint them)... and I was only like 11-12)... and that is definitely going to be a car i will get in the future.

Anyways, with that said I dont think i'd ever not be a car-enthusiast, I just started too early, I'd hate to see it happen... but who knows... I used to be a uber-computer nerd, always eager to learn new shit, etc... but now I don't mess with any of that shit, only mozilla and winamp, more of a time restraint and me outweighing work vs relaxing. Now i'm not at all impressed by computers. News no longer amaze me, i really dont give a shit too much. So i guess there really is no way of telling.

Now as far as the "scene" goes.... yeah i'm beyond sure that will die out for me. It fits in well bc of my current lifestyle, cashflow, etc. but i'm sure as new responsibilities arise, etc.... it'll just slowly disappear... and evolve into a new form (kinda like what you're experiencing) like being an actual enthusiast :) heh IE: Actually driving/collecting the cars that make you bust nuts.

IE: AE Countach, Ferrari 288GTO <-- my top two picks of all time.

Krazykouki
01-24-2007, 01:33 AM
I am 21 years old. I have been into the "scene" since I was 14, I have come out every Saturday and or Friday night that I possibly could since I was 14. I do have to say though that this year is definitely going to be the last year for all that. I will always be an enthusiast but the coming out Friday and Saturday nights is just not appealing to me anymore. I will probably stop coming out alot sooner...getting boring.

silversol
01-24-2007, 02:55 AM
I am still in the import "scene" but not like I use to be I still mess around with hondas for fun. but I got tired of profileing from cops, stupid ricers that filp out when they see another honda and want to race in the middle of dead stoped 6 pm traffic! But I have always been in to muscle cars since I can remeber I still have my first car a 67 mustang that I am putting all the finishing touches on now, but I will never be done with! but its nice to drive a car that cops dont look twice at you! Other people with old cars just give you a :goodjob: and dont try to race you on the street or do stupid shit to endanger you other people around you and your car! But i really like going to car showes with it Plus its a much bigger scene that every one of all ages enjoys! and whats nice about the old car showes no one doing burnouts or trying to DRIFT in a parking lot around other people and therecars!

BlkCD5
01-24-2007, 03:26 AM
For me, I"ll never get out of the scene. I"ll move onto "better" cars, but try to set a mod limit. Its hard cus everytime an individual mentions they're "done" with a project, there is one more part they want. I"m still trying to beat that addiction. Even the idea of keeping a DD stock is weird imo.

The Ren
01-24-2007, 06:28 AM
Im starting to get to that point.. I had always wanted a supra.. and I finally got it.. but when I look back on the year and 1/2 ive had it.. to me, the money I put into fixing it, could have been used on my house, paying off bills, etc... I dont regret it.. I just think I could have spent that money more wisely.. Im thinking about more of the future and things I wanna do...Im an enthusiast.. and I think in some ways I will always be.. but I think Id be just as happy owning a stock supra as I would my current one..

Halfwit
01-24-2007, 06:31 AM
i can see very soon only looking forward to track days, but the DIY projects and working on cars in general wont leave me.

live~sideway
01-24-2007, 06:46 AM
i cant see myself ever out "out of the scene" except maybe racing on streets. i never have looked for tons of hp or anything i like meets to hang out with cool people. also if i ahve somebody in the car with me i drive safe if my girl is in the car with me i drive really safe but when im with my friends is when i get done. i dont work on cars for power i do it cause its fun i like to try to make somthing out of nothing.

quickdodgeŽ
01-24-2007, 12:01 PM
i cant see myself ever out "out of the scene" except maybe racing on streets.

Hopefully you'll leave this Earth before you quit. Unless you quit right now. Later, QD.

tony
12-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Started this thread a while ago but figured I'd reply rather than start a new one..

I think I have grown out of it completely now.. don't really care to mod any more, I'd rather buy a car that costs what I plan to spend on mods. Racing doesnt make half as much sense as it once did (no knock to those who do it)

I still prefer a sports car over luxury but I would prefer something high end.. and if I cant have that I'll keep working/investing till I can afford it.

Echonova
12-23-2007, 08:33 PM
I've been thinking more about going sleeper lately. I'll never get out, but maybe not be sooooo overt.

Thighs
12-23-2007, 08:40 PM
wow... im 18 and i already know that streetracing is FTL. not only is it dangerous/illegal, but any valuable mod for street racing disqualifies you from being placed in a competitive racing class. body kits and crazy paint jobs have never excited me, and neither has useless jdm crap or tons of camber and stretched tires. when i finally get the cash together to "mod" my car, im gonna stick to function>form. carbon fiba FTL!

Echonova
12-23-2007, 08:46 PM
wow... im 18 and i already know that streetracing is FTL. not only is it dangerous/illegal, but any valuable mod for street racing disqualifies you from being placed in a competitive racing class. body kits and crazy paint jobs have never excited me, and neither has useless jdm crap or tons of camber and stretched tires. when i finally get the cash together to "mod" my car, im gonna stick to function>form. carbon fiba FTL!Spoken like a true ricer with no money...:lmfao: "Carbon fiba" is FTW... Lighter than steel yet stonger... How could that possibly have any use in "competitive racing"???

Echonova
12-23-2007, 08:48 PM
But I agree on body kits... Of any kind.

Kaiser
12-23-2007, 10:21 PM

Grats by the way!

And no, I don't think I ever will. I forsee myself at 40 wrenching on my kid's cars, doing what my dad did for me and more, teaching them how to be responsible and safe drivers at ANY speed, under any conditions, with respect for other drivers and the law. I won't lie and say I never speed, but I also wonder sometimes when I'm out at 3-4 in the morning and am the only sober person on the road why it's "tuners" who are called the dangerous people on the road.

No, I see myself always enjoying cars and being able to take a car, push it's limits, see what it can do in a safe environment, and also knowing it has the versatility to haul my groceries home during rush hour traffic. To that end I don't build 1000whp Supras or anything to that extreme. I respect those that make that choice, but I see it as a path towards burnout. One day I will be one of the old farts who have been around forever, and while the friends I will have who are my age will probably be driving Benz and Lexus with nothing done, I will always be able to say "Your TV is bigger Jim, but my car doesn't embarass my kids when I pick them up at highschool" ;)

#1Beaver
12-23-2007, 10:29 PM
for me i no it will i jus dont no wen

MistaCee
12-23-2007, 10:32 PM
I dont think ill change, I will only update to better cars like now I have a civic and ill end up with a nsx when i'm ready for it.

Thighs
12-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Spoken like a true ricer with no money...:lmfao: "Carbon fiba" is FTW... Lighter than steel yet stonger... How could that possibly have any use in "competitive racing"???

if you put carbon fiber body panels on your car and its not a ****ing beast it every other aspect, prepare to get pwned by your competition.

im not talking about ****ing protoypes or gt cars here dumbass, im talking about a DD/autox car.

a carbon fiber hood puts you in this class. good luck. http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mjd2bUI71KU

Jimmy B
12-23-2007, 11:04 PM
Tony, i STILL agree with you.. im so far out of the "scene" its funny how far i used to be "in" the scene..

i do want wheels for teh tahoe, but thats it! next i want to get a nice quick sedan that i can just ddrive and have fun with.. nothing crazy at all.. my son and wifey are WAY to important to me to be doing dumb stuf with a car any longer

quickdodgeŽ
12-23-2007, 11:56 PM
Tony, i STILL agree with you.. im so far out of the "scene" its funny how far i used to be "in" the scene..

Check it out and you can attest to this, Jimmy. You can remember back in the good ole days of IA when this question would be posted and you'd see the same responses out of Tousma, and quite a few others. They would always be in the "scene." Look at them now. Gone. Only a few years later. You grow up and get a family and you pick up more prioritized responsibilities. Later, QD.

BobbyFresco
12-24-2007, 05:39 AM
Started this thread a while ago but figured I'd reply rather than start a new one..

I think I have grown out of it completely now.. don't really care to mod any more, I'd rather buy a car that costs what I plan to spend on mods. Racing doesnt make half as much sense as it once did (no knock to those who do it)

I still prefer a sports car over luxury but I would prefer something high end.. and if I cant have that I'll keep working/investing till I can afford it.

Your original post in the thread mirrors the struggle I'm currently having with myself.
I have loved cars for as long as I can remember and have been modding cars since I was 14. I'm now 29, and certain aspects of the scene do not appeal to me anymore. The "scene" truly isn't what it used to be when some of us who are older got into it. It's just not the same.

I've been thinking about starting on a new project but I can't justify putting money into a venture where I will not get it back but, there are other days where the thought of driving a stock car makes me think otherwise. An internal battle to say the least.

I'm sure I will always be a fan of everything automotive but not to the degree I used to. Car shows aren't really fun anymore and street racing is not my cup of tea nor is it safe. I have kids now and they need me.

I think what it all comes down to is that the older I'm getting, the more my views on cars and just things in general are changing.
My priorities are definitely changing and I don't know if modding a car fits into that list anymore.

Very good thread though!:goodjob:

ryanh300
12-24-2007, 06:06 AM
if you put carbon fiber body panels on your car and its not a ****ing beast it every other aspect, prepare to get pwned by your competition.

im not talking about ****ing protoypes or gt cars here dumbass, im talking about a DD/autox car.

a carbon fiber hood puts you in this class. good luck. http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mjd2bUI71KU

Spoken like a true ricer w/ no money again

iloveboost
12-24-2007, 10:09 AM
I think I may eventually be done modding cars and enjoying a nice stock car one day, just not yet.

I think as you grow older your tastes change. I went from a 630whp Honda to the Z06. I love it. The crowd is more mature, you don't have idiots at every meet doing stupid stuff and it's just a better crowd to be around.

After I'm done with the Z06, which hopefully won't be soon, I think I'll move on to something nicer and more exotic.

This may sound weird but cars are a motivator for me. I've got to push myself and find ways to make more money so I can get in a nicer car without sacrificing my priorities to do so. Whether it's a rental property, investing, getting a better job, using my money more wisely; I've got to find ways to get myself in a car I've always wanted.

I just turned 24 and who knows, things could change, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I'll keep working until I hit that next milestone. I'll continue to do so until I consider myself successful.

EJ25RUN
12-24-2007, 10:19 AM
honestly say i hated the scene from long ago, when i was like 13 i hated front wheel drive cars and civics more than anything.....of coarse times have changed!

For some of you *points finger* this was cool.
http://www.soegaard.no/Biler/F&F-civic.jpg

Then when i started to realized $, and how much it took to go fast, FWD wasn't really all that bad anymore.

Really and trully though, i've always found that motorsport was the true reason for what i do and to impress on the street means nothing. Thats why i save my :2cents: and head to the track as much as i can, ive learned my lesson the hard way before and i feel if i ever want to become a "Great" driver, i will never be able to accomplish that on the street!

Good post man, got me reminiscen and shiat :goodjob:

hydroshutter
12-24-2007, 10:47 AM
I've grown out of it and I just turned 22.

Thighs
12-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Spoken like a true ricer w/ no money again

you drive a honda. you cant say anything to anybody about not having money. not that my car is better, just saying.

i guess it all depends on whether you want a useful car or a pretty car. pretty isnt always bad, but useful comes first in my book.

On_Her_Face
12-24-2007, 12:47 PM
wow... im 18 and i already know that streetracing is FTL. not only is it dangerous/illegal, but any valuable mod for street racing disqualifies you from being placed in a competitive racing class. body kits and crazy paint jobs have never excited me, and neither has useless jdm crap or tons of camber and stretched tires. when i finally get the cash together to "mod" my car, im gonna stick to function>form. carbon fiba FTL!

*cause we all know that the people who race on the streets put mad bodykits, big wings for downforce and crazy paint to show how fast our cars are

*The previous statement describes cars from 1998 not 2007

Thighs
12-24-2007, 01:15 PM
*cause we all know that the people who race on the streets put mad bodykits, big wings for downforce and crazy paint to show how fast our cars are

*The previous statement describes cars from 1998 not 2007

theres plenty of cars around here that have bodykits, aftermarket wings, and one-off paint jobs. the whole point was that street racing is dumb, no matter what your car looks like. hence the jdm and stretched tires mention.

BiH1320
12-24-2007, 01:29 PM
No, I usually throw spare change. loll
But now I pick it up and put it in my car.

Thighs
12-24-2007, 01:31 PM
No, I usually throw spare change. loll
But now I pick it up and put it in my car.

what the hell are you talking about? lolol

On_Her_Face
12-24-2007, 04:22 PM
theres plenty of cars around here that have bodykits, aftermarket wings, and one-off paint jobs. the whole point was that street racing is dumb, no matter what your car looks like. hence the jdm and stretched tires mention.

true, i don't know of any that street race with the big ****ing wings (that are not oem), paint jobs, or bodykits that street race. street racing is not the safest thing that people can do but they can be so called "smart" about it

JITB
12-24-2007, 04:43 PM
i think every guy loves cars deep down. But after awhile u do get tired of it. I got tired of it, when i sat down and thought about waht i really wanted in a car. And i came to the conclusion that where i am right now, i cant get what i really want. So im not gonna try to make something into that. But i dont think we grow out of this stuff, because i bet none of us will ever own a stock car for too long...lol whether it be wheels/tint/radio etc.. stock just dont cut it for our type.

Slow Motion
12-24-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm 24 I love cars and you all sound old as hell. I love the feeling of riding in a Z thats faster than a porsche and the reaction i get when they ask whats under the hood. Or riding in a NSX that gets more attention than a Ferrari 430. I don't think I will grow out of it. I probably would have only one import thats been modified but never will i leave. I love to drive and shifting gears in something that I built is awsome.

Kevykev
12-24-2007, 05:09 PM
It's all about where your values lye at the present time! (family, finances practicality etc.)

It can easily be a cycle: Into cars - out of cars, in... out etc.

quickdodgeŽ
12-24-2007, 05:41 PM
I'm 24 I love cars and you all sound old as hell.

It has nothing to do with age as much as it does growing up and maturing and realizing where your priorities lie. Most people start understanding that it is more important to establish yourself in your life with your own house and family. Then if you have that taken care of and you can do it without jeopardizing your responsibilities, go for the hobby of cars. Later, QD.

Julio
12-24-2007, 07:54 PM
bringing back an old thread.. but def a good one!

I just bought the car that I wanted for awhile, for the price, you cant really beat it. It has everything. I said it before, we are just getting older,smarter , wiser........ I think for now im set.. Vette for nice days and weekends and The Solara for daily ****.. The solara is the ****, comfortable as ****... gotta love it =]

My next vehicle will be a small SUV/Truck to replace my solara if I ever change my mind.. but right now, I plan on driving the solara to the ground and it looks like I have a long way to go with only 22k miles.. lol

Crazy Asian
12-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Dude Im 21 and I feel like driving a Cadillac or a Lexus LS 600H. I dont want to be involved in street **** anymore. I just want a daily driver, comfortable, and luxurious. Damn I feel like im getting old.

IndianStig
12-24-2007, 08:39 PM
I think all luders want to mature for their next car, I wanna drive a Lexus GS next, lol.

I already stopped driving fast everywhere I go. I had been starting to slow down fora while now but since monday i just stopped driving fast (i was in a fender bender last monday).

chnco
12-25-2007, 12:37 AM
I think I've had times where I think I almost outgrew the scene, but every time I hop into my car, I get the urge to mod again. I use to be into the street scene, but now I just want an all around car.

It's weird, I thought it would have left me, but it never does.

On_Her_Face
12-25-2007, 12:51 AM
I think all luders want to mature for their next car, I wanna drive a Lexus GS next, lol.

I already stopped driving fast everywhere I go. I had been starting to slow down fora while now but since monday i just stopped driving fast (i was in a fender bender last monday).

after how many 20+ mph tickets? 3 or 4? lol :lmfao: