PDA

View Full Version : Grinding noise when accelerating

latoilette
01-23-2007, 12:42 PM
A few days ago, I ran into a speed bump (the one on plesadale Rd and buford hwy...railroad thingy with ruff crossing sign) I hit that sucka going 50 in my prelude.

Now, when I am accelerating, my driverside front makes grinding noise.grrr.ggrrr..grrr..(but it happens only in fast acceleration and only happens when I am in 1st or 2nd gear...at very low speeds..once the car rolls above 15 miles or so..this doesn't happen). If I do slow acceleration from stopped position, this grining noise isn't there...

So, I popped the wheel off and looked inside, the outer cv boot has been moved .25 inches inside the vehicle and there is no leak. what do you think is the culprit? Thanks

2.0civic
01-23-2007, 12:43 PM
A few days ago, I ran into a speed bump (the one on plesadale Rd and buford hwy...railroad thingy with ruff crossing sign) I hit that sucka going 50 in my prelude.

Now, when I am accelerating, my driverside front makes grinding noise.grrr.ggrrr..grrr..(but it happens only in fast acceleration and only happens when I am in 1st or 2nd gear...at very low speeds..once the car rolls above 15 miles or so..this doesn't happen). If I do slow acceleration from stopped position, this grining noise isn't there...

So, I popped the wheel off and looked inside, the outer cv boot has been moved .25 inches inside the vehicle and there is no leak. what do you think is the culprit? Thanks

BENT FRAME

devin
01-23-2007, 12:46 PM
ouch.......

latoilette
01-23-2007, 02:06 PM
so..how do i fix this?

devin
01-23-2007, 02:08 PM
so..how do i fix this?

with a deep wallet:goodjob:

2.0civic
01-23-2007, 02:08 PM
ITS TOTALLED....TAKE IT TO A COLLISION SHOP....

allmotoronly
01-23-2007, 08:42 PM
ITS TOTALLED....TAKE IT TO A COLLISION SHOP....

not necessarily totalled. It will cost you a pretty penny to get fixed though... Insurance don't always total a car over a bent frame, especially honda's since so many of the parts are just bolt in replacements (front subframe for example). get it checked before you start to worry too much.

latoilette
01-24-2007, 05:34 PM
I don't think my frame is bent. I am thinking..suspension bushing is gone bad. Yesterday, I looked and looked, and i found some grease splatters. But it's not from CV boot. so I am guessing maybe motor mounts or some ball joints or something like that..

koukis14
01-24-2007, 07:07 PM
To check cv axles go to a parking lot and drive the car steering it lock to lock. Accelerate and decelerate witht he car all the way to the left and right. If you hear a loud grinding you need some cv axles. Im putting my money on that or wheel bearing. But I would have to hear the noise. Good Luck.

latoilette
01-25-2007, 11:52 AM
I looked at it today, cv axle (the outer boot) is moved .25 inches inside. i guess I am gonna change that first.

Z U L8R
01-25-2007, 01:36 PM
i agree on the cv, if you jack the car off the ground try grabbing the cv axle in the middle and pull on it, there shouldn't be any play there, if you feel some you know what to do. but yeah i bet a new cv'll fix you right up.