PDA

View Full Version : Newb in need of help

Egpwns
01-23-2007, 12:16 AM
i have a 93 si hatchback...

car died today...

when i turn the car to the on position none of the auxilary lights come on (check engine,clock,abs,etc) but the car cranks on then shuts off. I can give it gas and it will rev then shut off and blow smoke. If i fuck with the key i can get the auxilary lights to come on but if i crank it they turn off...can this be an ignition problem?

Car gave me no problems til a few days ago when it started doing this but after a few cranks it would stay on. I was stranded for an hour then it turned on and after 15 minutes of driving it just shut off...

Any help is appreciated

2.0civic
01-23-2007, 12:17 AM
interesting....so it lets you crack it then stop? sounds like a fuel pump but that doesnt explain the lights

Egpwns
01-23-2007, 12:22 AM
It turns on and then cuts off... If i screw with the key the auxilary lights come on and the fuel pump turns on but if i crank no lights nothing and it turns on but shuts off... I'm lost:???:

Z U L8R
01-23-2007, 08:32 AM
IGNITION SWITCH (electrical portion that's behind the lock cylinder)

Egpwns
01-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Yeah i'm gonna change the wiring and the switch and hopefully that fixes it...thanks for the reply

Z U L8R
01-24-2007, 09:16 AM
np, the switch should be around $100 from honda, it's a white plastic cylinder with a harness coming off the back of it, you just remove the screws that hold it to the lock cylinder (where your key goes in) and unplug the harness then plug the new one in and screw it on the cylinder. ignition switch is a very common honda/acura problem

Whitebandit
01-24-2007, 10:09 AM
My 93 did the same thing. Changing the ignition switch is a little tricky. There are two stud bolts that you have to grind a slot in so you can get the switch out.

Sammich
01-24-2007, 10:12 AM
almost sounds like a ground wire

jmmx258
01-24-2007, 10:31 AM
My 93 did the same thing. Changing the ignition switch is a little tricky. There are two stud bolts that you have to grind a slot in so you can get the switch out.

My old EF Hatch did this!!! Then I gave up fotr a while, and lost the key lol. I ended up cutting/beating it off the column and wiring literally 3 toggle switches in different places, then one on the column, and a starter button. lol

Egpwns
01-24-2007, 11:58 PM
Yeah 'm picking up the ignition switch tommorow finally lol...

I unplugged the white piece and tried to start it with ascrew driver and it does the same thing...Hopefully i can get her running tommorow wish me luck and thank you for the replies