PDA

View Full Version : my friend's camry wont idle

SampaGuy
01-22-2007, 12:02 PM
my friend has a 1996 automatic camry and it always runs great but all of a sudden today it wouldnt idle, if he gives it gas it will stay running but as soon as he lets go it would stall. so i told him to stay on the gas for like 5min around 4k rpm and then see if it worked, and after 5 tries it did, the car didnt stall. so wtf is going on, im thinking bad IAC or EGR valve? how can i check to be sure?

Z U L8R
01-22-2007, 12:33 PM
doubt it's the egr valve, most likely gonna be some trash in the intake messing with the iac valve. i'd be willing to bet he needs an air filter and a "fuel injection service" meaning you clean out all the crap in the intake manifold. if you want to check the egr valve just stand over the driver's side fender and with your right hand grab the mushroom top of it, curl your fingers to the underside and have him rev it to 3,000 rpm, you should feel the egr valve diaghram move up and then come back down if the egr system is functioning properly...if the egr valve is stuck open it will create an "intake leak" basically you need to jack the car up and remove the 2 ten mm bolts that hold the egr pipe to the valve, you'll need a very long extension and it's easier with a swivel 10mm socket, then lower the car and the egr valve bolts to the intake plenum with 2 12mm nuts, while you're there also stab your finger through the hole in the intake to clean the "egr port" it's not much of a port LOL.

i think the F/I service + an air filter should fix his problem though. you could also unplug the iac and see if there's any change, basically it's a little motorized rod that if you give it 12 volts it should push out. anywho, hope that helped, i'm bored at work >_< :ninja:

SampaGuy
01-22-2007, 12:59 PM
thanks a lot man, i will check on that, i gave u +1 though ur reps are turned off lol

AnTi-PooN
01-23-2007, 12:12 PM
my dad has an 86 camry and its a 5spd my favorite car i have ever driven