PDA

View Full Version : Equalizer question?

threehundred
06-16-2005, 07:59 AM
I am going to be adding three 10w6s or 10w7s to my car and most likely new replacement mids and highs. I have the 6disc in dash mp3 player/Navi unit and do not want to lose this. What are my options for still having really good sound out of my system, as though I have an aftermarket 5v-out head unit, but with keeping my existing stock head unit? a digital eq? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jaimecbr900
06-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Adding another component between the signal and the amp is not always the best recipe for SQ.

I'm not familiar with your stock unit, but I would suppose that will be your biggest issue. If you are wanting to keep it, then you will likely be forced to boost the signal (again introducing yet something else that can induce noise) because most stock units now are dead units and use factory installed amps to boost.

threehundred
06-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks Jaime. I'm hoping you are wrong, however. :D
I'm really wanting to keep my head unit without having to add much. I had talked with Mikey (he works for HiFi) and he said there was something that could be used. Maybe someone knows of something.

Jaimecbr900
06-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks Jaime. I'm hoping you are wrong, however. :D

No prob. I may very well be. I'm not up to date with the latest and greatest in the audio world anymore.

I do know that the more equipment between your signal and your amp, the more chances for noise there will be. Although it's possible to have a very clean sound with several components downstream, it is usually an expensive proposition.

BOOSTED2KLUDE
06-16-2005, 11:42 PM
Most 300c's have amplified systems. Which means you will need to go to the amp to pull a good signal with enough voltage. I would recommend hi-lo converter and a line driver to increase the voltage going through your interconnects. You will also need to find out the impedance of your oem mids and highs if you plan on changing them. If the factory amp wants to see 1-2 ohm (some factory amplified speakers utilize this impedance to yield more power out of the oem amp) and you replace with a 4 ohm aftermarket speaker, your sound will suffer. Also, some oem amplified systems have the amp built on to the speaker...causing more problems when you want to change the mids and highs and keep the rest of the oem system unchanged. I think your car has a Boston Acoustics amplified system because of the nav, which you can add a sub amp and subs easily. But as far as replacing the highs and mids you may be stuck with the oem stuff becuase you don't want to change your oem head.

threehundred
06-17-2005, 06:23 AM
I think your car has a Boston Acoustics amplified system because of the nav, which you can add a sub amp and subs easily. But as far as replacing the highs and mids you may be stuck with the oem stuff becuase you don't want to change your oem head.

I am fine with keeping the mids and highs, as long as they will be able to "keep up" with the subs. Would I be able to use some type of equalizer so that I can control the sound better, even though I use the stock system with subs and sub-amps? I'm afraid that right now, the stock system will not be loud enough for three 10w6v2s or 10w7s. I will also need to put some type of cross-over in or do something to control passing freqs, I do not want too much bass, if any, coming out of the mids and highs once I get the subs.

redgst97
06-17-2005, 12:29 PM
Factory mids/highs will not be able to keep up with 3 12s. Especially factory mids/highs off a factory amp. (THIS IS MY OPINION)....

Considering the speakers are you actually "hear" they are the LAST place you want to skimp...

To keep the bass out of the mids, you could add a capacitor, which would be the easiest and cheapest way. Nothing like a 6db crossover at 100Hz. However, then there is no flexability. Cheap and basic though.

If you use an aftermarket amplifier for the mids/highs, it will probably have at least a high pass filter built in (most do). That will allow you to keep the bass out of the mids.

John