PDA

View Full Version : Question about wireless networking

KoukiDrftr
01-21-2007, 08:56 PM
I was wondering how i would go about setting up a wireless network where i can share files on the multiple computers in my house. I already have wireless internet set up.

quickdodgeŽ
01-21-2007, 08:58 PM
I have it set up at my house, but I don't know how I did it. Later, QD.

Julio
01-21-2007, 08:59 PM
networkmagic.com

Dudeman
01-21-2007, 09:09 PM
secure it or im gonna go read your interweb history and download music from your wireless one day.

Ruiner
01-21-2007, 09:10 PM
Step 1: Setup a wireless router (lock it down with WEP or WPA) so that outside people cannot connect to your network.
Step 2: Connect all of your computers to the router via wireless or hard-wired if so applicable.
Step 3: Open up permissions on your computers via shares, logins, and passwords.
Step 4. Profit

KoukiDrftr
01-21-2007, 09:13 PM
Step 1: Setup a wireless router (lock it down with WEP or WPA) so that outside people cannot connect to your network.
Step 2: Connect all of your computers to the router via wireless or hard-wired if so applicable.
Step 3: Open up permissions on your computers via shares, logins, and passwords.
Step 4. Profit
can you explain 3 and 4 better?

Ruiner
01-21-2007, 10:01 PM
can you explain 3 and 4 better?

Well, #4 was just a joke. #3, however, is serious.

You will need to set up permissions to file shares based on what operation system you are using. Basically, those "shares" are what one (or many) computers on your network will see when they connect to that ip address. Once you set up the shares, you need to set up permissions, account access, etc. For me to explain it to you online would take too much time. I suggest that you do a Google search.

Jgsr311
01-22-2007, 12:48 AM
if all of your computers are already hooked up to the internet, what you need to do is click start, connect to, 'show all connections'.
then on the top left, under network tasks, select 'set up a home or small office network'
follow the wizard and do as told ya dig

Jecht
01-22-2007, 05:17 AM
Well, there are several things you would need to do. The computers all need to be within the same workgroup, which is usually defaulted to MSHOME. Since the network is already setup, the workgroup is probably the same anyways. So all you should have to do is right click on the folder that you want to share and click "Sharing and Security". Then, under Network Sharing and Security, click "Share this folder on the network" and type in the box what name you want the folder to show up as on the network. Then just click okay. To access the folder on the other computers, all you should have to do is click start, then My Network Places. On the left, find View Workgroup Computers. Click that, then it should bring up a list of computers. Just click on the computer it is saved on and you should be able to see and use the files in the folder.

Jecht
01-22-2007, 05:19 AM
Step 4. Profit

Step 1 should be serious also, because if you don't have security, anybody can connect to your network and browse through all your files. I recommend that you use WPA since WEP is easily cracked, it just takes time.

Stormhammer
01-22-2007, 07:02 AM
Step 1 should be serious also, because if you don't have security, anybody can connect to your network and browse through all your files. I recommend that you use WPA since WEP is easily cracked, it just takes time.

I second that - I work as an IT - for most general secured home use we have people setup on WEP keys - but for some customers like this architecht company, we have them setup on a WPA

as for WEP cracking easily... mwehehehe, I love my laptop :)

but just in case - make sure all your PC's have the same workgroup name ( while MSHOME should be the default, I have found that this is not always the case, depending on what O/S was installed it may be WORKGROUP )

Jecht
01-22-2007, 07:35 AM
Lol, I know. Hacking WEP is pretty easy, and I've done it several times at my friend's house with my laptop so that I can use their internet access.

Stormhammer
01-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Aircrack ftw!

Ruiner
01-22-2007, 10:09 AM

Yes, I know, but I had to throw it out there as there is no telling what his router and/or client supports.

rednblacksvt
01-22-2007, 10:20 AM
holy crap. use google. or the manufacturer's instructions.

Jecht
01-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Yes, I know, but I had to throw it out there as there is no telling what his router and/or client supports.
Yeah, I consider WPA a necessity though. Most routers support WPA nowadays anyways. :goodjob:

Ruiner
01-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I consider WPA a necessity though. Most routers support WPA nowadays anyways. :goodjob:

True, but I was talking about the client side. ;)

4dmin
01-22-2007, 02:04 PM
these guys have given alot of examples for you to check out...

basic idea 1st - get to the settings of your router (configure it as needed) 192.168.1.1 (this is the common ip for linksys systems through the browser)
2nd - setup file sharing on folders (right click ;) )

WEP,WPA, etc is a great ideas but this if for someone who obviously doesn't know how to do it to begin with... kinda a waste of info... shit other things to knock down on unwanted traffic is static ip and limit the number of open ip.

KoukiDrftr
01-22-2007, 09:08 PM
ive almost got it. i can see the other computers now but everytime i try to click on the other computer it asks me for a password. i didnt set up any password and ive tried every password ever typed into the computers. i also tried the password on the router... any suggestions?