PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make it faster on a budget

blacknightteg
01-21-2007, 05:32 PM
alright, so like the title says, im wanting to make my car faster. But at the same time im somewhat on a budget. So what i am asking is what can help me out in trying to make my car a little faster. Now right now i have an intake, and an exhaust. I am going to be getting a header soon but other then that, i dont know what i can do to help the power increase a little bit more. can someone give me some ideas? sorry if this is a stupid thread. but keep in mind this car of mine is a daily driver and the mileage is pretty high on it so i dont want to do too much that will hurt it. thanks in advance!

thepolecat
01-21-2007, 05:43 PM
cat delete makes a big difference.

what is your budget? most people wont help unless you give an idea of what you are working with.

blacknightteg
01-21-2007, 05:48 PM
well i mean its a budgeted thing over time. like i dont like spending more then like maybe 300 at a time or something. but i dont want to have to take off the cat and then have to keep putting it on and shit once a year for emissions. thats one thing. i dont want to do anything that would or is going to cause hassel

thepolecat
01-21-2007, 05:52 PM
I swapped my cat on and in like a half hour total. 15 on, emissions, 15 off. and in my little dinky civic- it makes a world of difference. there is not much for 300. you can free up air with an intake manifold bigger injectors, better fuel pump, etc- but then you need to get a tune...

Im rambling- good luck man

2.0civic
01-21-2007, 05:52 PM
CAMS?? SOME HEAD WORK?? IF YOU GOT A LS, I WOULD GET A GSR OR A TYPE R TRANNY.

HMM..BUT YEAH, IF YOURE WANTING TO GET A LITTLE MORE PEP, I WOULD DEFINATELY DO CAMS FIRST

blacknightteg
01-21-2007, 05:54 PM
hmm alright....what time of cams into an LS tho, i mean it wouldnt be to harsh on the engine since its got about 180 on it?

thepolecat
01-21-2007, 05:54 PM
its going to be hard to do canms for 300. but yeah- cams make hella difference in hondas

Whitebandit
01-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Adj. fuel pressue reg. maybe? Its hard to make feelable hp gains with a ls without spending more that $300. Thats why I turboed mine.

blacknightteg
01-21-2007, 05:57 PM
now im not saying that my complete budge is 300...it just depends ont eh item and the significance that it can make. shit if i coudl right now i would just swap the bitch but that requires a shit load of time and money. which, i have a lot of time most of the time, but not alot of money or credit to afford one.

Whitebandit
01-21-2007, 05:58 PM
hmm alright....what time of cams into an LS tho, i mean it wouldnt be to harsh on the engine since its got about 180 on it?
NO. YOUR JUST BREAKING IT IN. BUT THE CAMS ARE GOING TO BE WAY OVER $300..

2.0civic
01-21-2007, 06:00 PM
NO. YOUR JUST BREAKING IT IN. BUT THE CAMS ARE GOING TO BE WAY OVER $300..

LIRL at people who say 180k is break in....

honestly, i would compression check it cause you know once you get it going quicker, you will have a heavier foot...happens to us all :) but if you get stuff done and start romping on it, theres only so much a motor can take with that mileage(depending on how its been driven)

just find a vtec head and call it a day :goodjob:

blacknightteg
01-21-2007, 06:03 PM

honestly, i would compression check it cause you know once you get it going quicker, you will have a heavier foot...happens to us all :) but if you get stuff done and start romping on it, theres only so much a motor can take with that mileage(depending on how its been driven)

just find a vtec head and call it a day :goodjob:

find a vtec head to do what? make it LS/VTEC? i have heard so many different opinions about doing an LS/VTEC. some say its good some say its bad. but i dont know what to believe.

2.0civic
01-21-2007, 06:07 PM
find a vtec head to do what? make it LS/VTEC? i have heard so many different opinions about doing an LS/VTEC. some say its good some say its bad. but i dont know what to believe.

lsvtec if done RIGHT is as relaible as stock...that goes for any motor swap...get a hack job done and then you arent guaranteed anything...

i did find this for you though which may be something you want to consider that i forgot about...

Third point:

Cams work in harmony with the static CR via the dynamic CR. When you increase the duration of a cam from stock, you WILL lose cylinder pressure up the intake port. Cylinder pressure is what turns the crank. Lower that cranking pressure during the power stroke and you lower how much the crank is turned. With mild to moderate spec cams, this loss is not so huge and you won't lose power from this cylinder pressure bleed off. But as you get higher and higher on the cam's overlap and duration, the more bleed off you get. You can actually go too big of a cam for your engine..."overcamming the engine".

SLow_POke
01-21-2007, 06:08 PM

just find a vtec head and call it a day :goodjob::goodjob: :goodjob: i would also go this route if you dont want to spend alot of money. still going to cost you a feww hundred more. but seen as its income tax time you should be able to do it .

i use have a shit load of side jobs around this time of the year back in cali :D

but you should def set a budget an goal.
get chrome, nitrous, tuned by scotty you'll be happy. then again im just a bottle freak

blacknightteg
01-21-2007, 06:13 PM
hmm thats something i will probably consider. i appreciate the help

Z U L8R
01-21-2007, 09:32 PM
and you're at 180k so if you're going to do cams or even take the head off the timing belt's gotta come off anyways so BUY A NEW TIMING BELT! while you're in there you might wanna do the water pump too but with 180k i'd definately do all the oil seals, like cam, crank, balance, etc. on, seals are cheap and you'll be pissed when you do the other stuff and you're leaking oil from them. just a suggestion.

blacknightteg
01-21-2007, 10:32 PM
thanks...