PDA

View Full Version : General Chat what are some cheap project cars?

looking4car
01-19-2007, 11:58 PM
hey im looking at getting a project car for no more than around 5,000 dollars what are some of the cheaper good project cars?

thanks

TheGodfather
01-20-2007, 02:08 AM
Wow that leaves you with alot of options. Depends on what you want. If you want 4 banger the options are virtually unlimited. A Civic, 2 or 4 door, Accord, Del Sol, or Prelude. You can go with an Integra. If you want to mess with a V6 you can find an Acura Legend in that price range and probably a decent Nissan 300zx. The Nissan 240 series are popular projects cars as well.

Anything more specific you are looking for to narrow it down?

bigdare23
01-20-2007, 02:32 AM
CRX FTW!!!

Stormhammer
01-20-2007, 03:11 AM
wtf thats not a cheap project car...

turbosx©
01-20-2007, 03:12 AM
cb7

nmonty
01-20-2007, 05:46 PM
you cant go wrong with an mr2...

MIami-boy
01-20-2007, 08:48 PM
cb7

i agree:goodjob: u got a CB?

thepolecat
01-20-2007, 08:52 PM
older SE-R sentra- like early 90's. those can be really fun

aaronfelipe
01-20-2007, 08:53 PM
CRX!!!

Kyle
01-20-2007, 08:57 PM
You just bought a gli, why not put 5K into that?

an0therh22
01-21-2007, 02:36 AM
imo i think a hatch or crx would be the cheapest and easily project to do. im planning on trading my accord for a clean eg myself.

Verik
01-21-2007, 03:46 AM
240z's and 280z's make awesome projects :)

Flip
01-21-2007, 04:54 AM
i'm selling an 81 280zx that would make a good project car... asking 1500$. its in the FS section if you want to see pics...

quickdodge®
01-21-2007, 11:14 AM
240z's and 280z's make awesome projects :)

Get a 240 so you can be like everyone else. Later, QD.

David88vert
01-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Model T bucket
1500 lbs / 400+ hp

Whitebandit
01-23-2007, 10:00 AM
I heard chevette's are the shit!! You can get one for about a $1...:goodjob:

Lucky DAWG
01-23-2007, 10:11 PM

lol even though they are great project cars

QD is so right here...
i dont care how cheap or fast a car is, i value being original overall

man
01-24-2007, 12:43 AM
lol even though they are great project cars

QD is so right here...
i dont care how cheap or fast a car is, i value being original overall

And you see how many 240Zs running around everyday???

I'm lucky to see one a month.

Halfwit
01-24-2007, 08:05 AM
sorry QD. that was a dumb comment. it is true. but i believe that is the wrong mindset.

the question :

what is a cheap project car? its about abuilding a car to have fun in, and not caring what ppl think...

not, hey i want to be like everyone else, what should i get?

it doesnt matter if everyone else has it, why should that stop u from building a car u want?

its liek this. sya my heart desires a primer 90 model 240 hatch with a redtop sr20, yes there will be at least 10k in ga with that same setup, but it doesnt matter cause its what i want.

like me saying

"HEY QD, yeah go drive your truck abd be like all the other beer truck drivers"

your not gonna stop driving your truck cause other ppl do it.

theres always gonna be ppl the same. that shouldnt stop you.

HalfBaked
01-24-2007, 08:16 AM
b13 se-r for the win.

Best bang for the buck.

Forget a honda. You'd get some piece of shit SOHC car...

b13 se-r you get a sr20de and an LSD and its a car that was built to handle great and perform.

TRAYZ06
01-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Omni Horizon, Then swap in a old chrysler turbo motor.

Here is a link of last years results from the Grassroots $2006 challenge. It could give you some ideas.
http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/images/bill/2006_challenge_overall_results.pdf

quickdodge®
01-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Omni Horizon, Then swap in a old chrysler turbo motor.

Didn't need to click the link to know that is the best suggestion out here. You could get the Omni GLH which came with a nice 2.2L turbo. But Tray, you know on this site, no one is going to listen to someone saying get an American car. Later, QD.

man
01-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Actually QD, an 88 RX7 placed #1.

But seriously, the GLH (Goes Like Hell) is a quick little car. And if you can find an S version, you're even better off.

Jecht
01-24-2007, 11:55 AM
b13 se-r for the win.

Best bang for the buck.

Forget a honda. You'd get some piece of shit SOHC car...

b13 se-r you get a sr20de and an LSD and its a car that was built to handle great and perform.

Fails for a really weak transmission that can't take much more than 200hp. :thinking:

Kyle
01-24-2007, 11:56 AM
OMNI GLH's are so fucking badass. I love those cars.

But to be real with you, this kid is no where ready to do a project car in my honest opinion. He asks questions like what's a downpipe? Project cars are not very simple, and usually you need a good bit of mechanical knowledge and background with cars to keep them up.

And has anyone else noticed he just keeps making threads asking what to do, but shows no sign of ever doing anything? I am pretty sure he has made over 20 threads, some of them are questions he has already asked. I am all for helping people learn about cars, but when you waste peoples time like he is it annoys me.

quickdodge®
01-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Actually QD, an 88 RX7 placed #1.

Huh? Later, QD.

Jecht
01-24-2007, 12:04 PM
And has anyone else noticed he just keeps making threads asking what to do, but shows no sign of ever doing anything? I am pretty sure he has made over 20 threads, some of them are questions he has already asked. I am all for helping people learn about cars, but when you waste peoples time like he is it annoys me.

Yeah, this guy has been posting all over the VW/Audi board asking stupid questions. I don't think he likes his Jetta GLI much, and he never listens to what any of us have to say.

man
01-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Huh? Later, QD.

On Tray's link, the one you said you didn't need to click on...

quickdodge®
01-24-2007, 12:09 PM
On Tray's link, the one you said you didn't need to click on...

Oh I got ya. I thought the link was to a GLH site. Not a list. But I'd personally take an Omni GLH over an RX7. Later, QD.

Kyle
01-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Here are all the threads he has started. 23 and he has 46 or something posts.
Threads Started By: looking4car
Thread
what are some cheap project cars? ( 1 2 )
oppinion on magnaflow exhaust
Poll: Poll: who thinks body kits are gay? ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page )
stock gli help
car parts websites
manual help first gear ( 1 2 )
Where can I buy a 2006 or 2007 GTI?
Jetta gli shifter knob
gli and 2 big of a turbo charger. ( 1 2 3 )
time to modify the jetta gli i need some ideas!!!!
what system to get
what does a down pipe do? ( 1 2 )
jetta gli mods help
where to find a jetta gli front lip
WTB: any mods for my jetta gli
where to find jetta gli front lip
Jetta GLI or jetta gti??
Jetta Gli upgrage help
Turbo lag help
subaru impreza wrx or mazda 6s
mazda 6 s what can i do for more speed?
body kits and speed bumps
engine swap

jblaudio06
01-24-2007, 12:34 PM
honda/acura/nissan

Lucky DAWG
01-24-2007, 01:28 PM
sorry QD. that was a dumb comment. it is true. but i believe that is the wrong mindset.

the question :

what is a cheap project car? its about abuilding a car to have fun in, and not caring what ppl think...

not, hey i want to be like everyone else, what should i get?

it doesnt matter if everyone else has it, why should that stop u from building a car u want?

its liek this. sya my heart desires a primer 90 model 240 hatch with a redtop sr20, yes there will be at least 10k in ga with that same setup, but it doesnt matter cause its what i want.

like me saying

"HEY QD, yeah go drive your truck abd be like all the other beer truck drivers"

your not gonna stop driving your truck cause other ppl do it.

theres always gonna be ppl the same. that shouldnt stop you.

bc i'd rather stand out

not everyone wants to blend into the crowd, no matter how good of a car it is. you way overanalyzed this.

no one said it was a bad car, just not everyone wants to have what other people have, i dont see how thats a problem? :thinking:

man
01-24-2007, 01:33 PM
bc i'd rather stand out

not everyone wants to blend into the crowd, no matter how good of a car it is. you way overanalyzed this.

no one said it was a bad car, just not everyone wants to have what other people have, i dont see how thats a problem? :thinking:

So you're telling me that if every single person on your street had a Ferrari F430 and someone said "here have this F430 for free" you would say "No, I'll stick with my SC400 because no one else has one."

HalfBaked
01-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Fails for a really weak transmission that can't take much more than 200hp. :thinking:
Really?

I have a stock transmission and make 300whp...

b13 transmissions have a problem of 5th gear pop out when they get higher miles on them...but thats about a $250 fix to get a b14 transmission.

Lucky DAWG
01-24-2007, 07:05 PM
So you're telling me that if every single person on your street had a Ferrari F430 and someone said "here have this F430 for free" you would say "No, I'll stick with my SC400 because no one else has one."

interesting

last time i checked a 240 was not free...

man
01-24-2007, 08:02 PM
interesting

last time i checked a 240 was not free...

Would you turn one down if it was?

Even so, that's not the point you or I was trying to make.

You stated simply that to some people, not "blend[ing] into the crowd, no matter how good of a car it is" is more important.

But, to bring it into your field, let's say that you wanted a car around the 5k range. For that money you could buy a shitty looking car with a decent interior, a shitty looking car with a shitty interior, or you can buy a shitty looking car with a shitty interior but it's 5x faster than all the other cars in the price range. You would turn down the latter just because everyone has them. There's a reason that 240s are the only car people buy in that price range...

Lucky DAWG
01-24-2007, 08:10 PM
Would you turn one down if it was?

Even so, that's not the point you or I was trying to make.

You stated simply that to some people, not "blend[ing] into the crowd, no matter how good of a car it is" is more important.

But, to bring it into your field, let's say that you wanted a car around the 5k range. For that money you could buy a shitty looking car with a decent interior, a shitty looking car with a shitty interior, or you can buy a shitty looking car with a shitty interior but it's 5x faster than all the other cars in the price range. You would turn down the latter just because everyone has them. There's a reason that 240s are the only car people buy in that price range...

this makes no sense, u just pointed it out urself

i would turn it down bc it was a shitty looking car with a shitty interior... your wording didn't help your argument here.

and if someone gave me a 240 for free, HELL YEA I'D TAKE IT!, realistically they're not free so thats not a valid point to make.

for my main car i would rather have something that looks nice and has a nice interior with atleast a decent motor. if you're gonna have a project car then i guess it would be okay to get w/e is cheap and just mod the hell out of it.

personally i would get a supra above anything else, but i gotta admit i would be scared about sliding such a beautiful car all over the place lol

man
01-24-2007, 08:23 PM
if you're gonna have a project car then i guess it would be okay to get w/e is cheap and just mod the hell out of it.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So he should get a 240! I'm glad you have finally come around.

I don't feel like explaining the previous post to you.

BTW I'm just fuckin with you and I understand what you are saying. But for 5grand a 240 really is the best bang for the buck.

Lucky DAWG
01-24-2007, 09:53 PM
well my dad works at a lexus dealership

so naturally for the price and not being disowned i went with my car, its a plus also that the supra engine and a lot of suspension pieces are all compatible too

i'd rather have a really nice car as a primary before i dumped money into a project car is what im saying though i guess

u cant be carting around your dates in some stripped down interior lol
and yea its cool, i dont take it personally

gay sex later?

man
01-24-2007, 10:06 PM
gay sex later?

I'll bring the lube...

Lucky DAWG
01-24-2007, 11:08 PM
lol rep for u

Halfwit
01-25-2007, 06:07 AM
bc i'd rather stand out

wow ud rather stand out? so that means u arent doing it for yourself, ur too into what other ppl are going to think.

just like saying,

"damn im not gonna lower my car and put some rims on it cause everyone else does it"

OR

"im not gonna buy a car, cause i want to be original, ill walk"

MAIN THING IS, HE ASKED WHAT ARE CHEAP PROJECT CARS, THE FACT IS, A 240 IS A CHEAP PROJECT CAR, SO WHAT YOU'R ARGUING IN THIS THREAD SHOULD BE NONEXISTENT.

IF I WANTED A CHEAP PROJECT CAR, I WOULD GET WHATEVER CAME CHEAP, NOT say " oh well i dont want that, someone else already has it"

nvm u wont understand.

toland03
01-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Any DSM vehicle. 1990 - 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipses of any kind, 90-98 Eagle Talons, or 90-94 Plymouth Lasers.

You can find them cheap and they're great for modding. They'll haul balls too. The 4G63 motor > anything Honda can think of making.

efman
01-29-2007, 03:21 PM
i say crx or integra depending on what you want