PDA

View Full Version : B16 rpms surge at consistant idle, Help?

carbon_crash
01-18-2007, 07:41 PM
My friends SI is not holding a consistant idle. He is ruuning a pretty much stock b16. The CEL is on the i9t is either displaying a 1 or 10. Which he 1 is an oxygen sensor and a 10 is a IAT sensor. He just replaced the O2 sensor today, but the car is running sluggish and when held at a constant rpm, the rpms surge. IAT sensor? bad O2 sensor? IACV?

jmmx258
01-18-2007, 08:33 PM
My EK did the same thing. Ended up just being a vacuum line off. I just got this EF crx with the B16 in it. Had a ZEX kit, I pulled it all out and sold it. Now its doing it as well. So I'm sure I got a vacuum line messed up between one of the two that were hooked to the box lol. My EK spit out different codes as well, but they proved to be false.

I could be, and probably am wrong, but its probably the easiest thing and cheapest to fix. Just what I would go after first.

allmotoronly
01-20-2007, 08:14 PM
first check all vaccum lines, then check the IACV, and if its not that, check your fast idle thermal valve. Its on the throttle body. There is a bronze colored plate on the bottom that has two bolts holding it in. remove it. Inside there is a plastic round sleeve that is threaded on the outside, and there is a metal piece with a spring behind it in the middle of the white sleeve piece. Thats the FITV. The white plastic piece may have backed out some. Turn it all the way in, and then about a half turn back out. for some reason, honda made the threads stop at the end just far enough that if it backs out enough it will go past the threads and suck in and out, which causes the surging.

jmmx258
01-21-2007, 01:50 AM
You wouldnt happen to have a picture of what your talking about would you? My B16 after I fixed up the vacuum lines is still surging. Not very often though. Just at random times when I stop at a light or something. Vacuum Gauge when running if I remember correctly said I've got almost 30psi or w/e of Vacuum. I cant remember what the incriments are. Anyways, I'm hoping/assuming that what you've described is the problem and an easy fix. thanks!

SLow_POke
01-21-2007, 06:17 PM
and when held at a constant rpm, the rpms surge

look at he easiest thigns first.

vaccum leak, im leaning on ,also check the adjusting screw might ahve backed out if its been messed with

the FITV 2nd. im nto sure if it has one

the IAC maybe

Whitebandit
01-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Go to page 3 (general tech) under ohm resistance. There is a link there to show you the pic and how to.