PDA

View Full Version : good tuning shop?

myfonti
01-17-2007, 10:43 PM
hi. i have a turbo miata and the greddy emanage blue for my car... i am trying to find a good shop that will tune my car for me... ive checked out mainstream and batlground a couple of weeks ago and both said they can do it... my main thing is that i want a shop that knows how to work on the emanage blue and who will do a really good job... any opinions? i will go check out topspeed also to see whassup... well, thanks for the help guys!

speedminded
01-17-2007, 10:53 PM
hi. i have a turbo miata and the greddy emanage blue for my car... i am trying to find a good shop that will tune my car for me... ive checked out mainstream and batlground a couple of weeks ago and both said they can do it... my main thing is that i want a shop that knows how to work on the emanage blue and who will do a really good job... any opinions? i will go check out topspeed also to see whassup... well, thanks for the help guys!greddy emanage is relatively easy to work with, it's not like it's Motec or any coding involved and any of those shops you mentioned can do it....and both alreaady said they can.

fawk_you
01-17-2007, 10:53 PM
RSPEED for any regular maintenance stuff.... Mainstream did 2 of my friends turbo miatas... they did a good job on their cars and would highly reccomend them. :)

myfonti
01-17-2007, 10:58 PM
whoa... that makes me lean towards mspi more than batlground... i felt a better vib3 from mspi than i did from batlground... but maybe cause batlground was busy that day... only thing thats keeping my options open with batlground is that tracy was bragging that dan is 1 b@d@$$ tuner... well, keep the opinions coming! btw, im not going to that other shop anymore...

speedminded
01-17-2007, 11:01 PM
whoa... that makes me lean towards mspi more than batlground... i felt a better vib3 from mspi than i did from batlground... but maybe cause batlground was busy that day... only thing thats keeping my options open with batlground is that tracy was bragging that dan is 1 b@d@$$ tuner... well, keep the opinions coming! btw, im not going to that other shop anymore...eh, batlground is alright...i mean, non sponsored supra basically built by himself running 8's...i'd have to agree with tracy ;)

myfonti
01-17-2007, 11:22 PM
yeah, thats what got me thinking... i really want to tune once and get it over with... so yeah... anyone else with experience from these shops?

Big Baller
01-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Dan is an awesome tuner, he has done a few of my cars now and a turbo miata is nothing new for him and neither is the Greddy Emanage. I've done business with a lot of shops and Dan is the only one I trust to tune my cars.

Matt

myfonti
01-18-2007, 01:18 AM
thanks for the insight! i guess i have to schedule an appointment to talk to him since they are "always busy"

Big Baller
01-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Thats the thing about good tuners, they are always busy.

Vteckidd
01-18-2007, 08:46 AM
we have an R package that makes 290whp, with the Link , and we have tuned alot of other miatas.

Emanage is no problem, its very simple.

MSPi, Batlground, either one of us can take care of it

fawk_you
01-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Hey Mr. Kidd... ill be heading up yalls way very soon to start on my motor work! Since I have an R..... I wana be where that R package is, damnit. Wouldnt happen to be Dustins would it?

Vteckidd
01-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Hey Mr. Kidd... ill be heading up yalls way very soon to start on my motor work! Since I have an R..... I wana be where that R package is, damnit. Wouldnt happen to be Dustins would it?
yes maam :)

see you soon :yes:

B18c1Turboed
01-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Im sorry but i think ED at BAlanced Performance will blow any tuner in the southeast out the water!! I have seen too many cars blown up by other tuners lately in GA!!
And ive heared alot of tuners overcharging people, Ed tuned my car in 20 mins and 4 hard pulls the car was fully tuned!

Vteckidd
01-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Im sorry but i think ED at BAlanced Performance will blow any tuner in the southeast out the water!! I have seen too many cars blown up by other tuners lately in GA!!
And ive heared alot of tuners overcharging people, Ed tuned my car in 20 mins and 4 hard pulls the car was fully tuned!
:lmfao:

what were your numbers? 100whp?

B18c1Turboed
01-18-2007, 12:18 PM
:lmfao:

what were your numbers? 100whp?

Nope alot more, sorry i cant disclose the actual numbers!!

Vteckidd
01-18-2007, 12:30 PM
you he tuned your car from START to finish, in 4 pulls an 20minutes?

from scratch?

BULLSHIT, if he started off an old TUNED map, and you changed something like, the exhaust, maybe.

but from start to finish, no way. your not telling the entire story danny. i dont think your qualified to know how long it takes to tune a car that makes over 400-500whp (which im guessing your car prob makes).

2-3 hours minimum on a race gas honda

Vteckidd
01-18-2007, 12:31 PM
and most people want driveability, and you cant do that in 20 min, i dont care how fucking good you are

Big Baller
01-18-2007, 12:31 PM

Why don't you just shut the fuck up and save us all the headache. Everytime I see youre name I"m like "fuck here comes another worthless fucking post". If Ed tuned youre car in 4 pulls then it isn't tuned good enough.

B18c1Turboed
01-18-2007, 12:33 PM

from scratch?

BULLSHIT, if he started off an old TUNED map, and you changed something like, the exhaust, maybe.

but from start to finish, no way. your not telling the entire story danny. i dont think your qualified to know how long it takes to tune a car that makes over 400-500whp (which im guessing your car prob makes).

I will give that too you MIke i was on a Basemap and he cleaned it up, did 4 hard pulls and was done. The air fuel was perfect. But i know on all are cars tuned on pump gas then race gas we are always done within 2 hours, thats with the car having no problems,which we rarley do..

The key to get a good tune and spending less money is making sure the car is ready to get tuned, and not ahving to fix stuff halfway thru the tune.

B18c1Turboed
01-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Why don't you just shut the fuck up and save us all the headache. Everytime I see youre name I"m like "fuck here comes another worthless fucking post". If Ed tuned youre car in 4 pulls then it isn't tuned good enough.
And its funny your the same way, eveytime you try to go behind me and discredit me, Man you can blow you know who.. Im sorry a shop take 4 or 5 hours to tune your car, but the tune was perfect i even drove the car on the stree idle was perfect and all.. I have more than enough people who can verify how long it took too tune the car.

Mike why dont you call Greg he was there!!

Vteckidd
01-18-2007, 12:42 PM
ok well then now i beleive you, if you already had a tuned map with minor adjustments i can see that.

We prob just do things differently. I cant tune a car in 2 hours to 30psi. sorry, i wont. im a little more carefull with that.

and no offense, you know i have NOTHING against ed, but this season you did experience some motor failures. so did we

B18c1Turboed
01-18-2007, 12:57 PM
ok well then now i beleive you, if you already had a tuned map with minor adjustments i can see that.

We prob just do things differently. I cant tune a car in 2 hours to 30psi. sorry, i wont. im a little more carefull with that.

and no offense, you know i have NOTHING against ed, but this season you did experience some motor failures. so did we

Agreed.

And i didnt personally have any motor problems.Just turbo from suckingg up the ground cable, and Peter for over reving his motor. Its all Good!!!

No offense to no tuners i just recommened Ed to anyone,he is a hell of a tuner, he tunes the world cup cars and road atalnta cars.And a few other well known cars,if these people trust them with such expensive cars then i do too!!!

Tracy
01-18-2007, 02:58 PM
www.batlground.com

Tank
01-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Mainstream or Batlground have good reps on these matters

Tracy
01-18-2007, 03:15 PM
whoa... that makes me lean towards mspi more than batlground... i felt a better vib3 from mspi than i did from batlground... but maybe cause batlground was busy that day... only thing thats keeping my options open with batlground is that tracy was bragging that dan is 1 b@d@$$ tuner... well, keep the opinions coming! btw, im not going to that other shop anymore...

Yea, you need to call a few days in advance if you want an appointment....poor planner :D

speedminded
01-18-2007, 04:58 PM
And ive heared alot of tuners overcharging people, Ed tuned my car in 20 mins and 4 hard pulls the car was fully tuned!Making minor adjustments & cleaning it up is COMPLETELY differant than a fresh tune start to finish. When Raceworks was running Hondata it would take Ed 4+ pulls do do an N/A....and he was even charging a flat rate. Been there several times the night before a race tweaking a car or two.

Under normal circumstances and starting with a fresh map it will take quite a while to test & tune properly...the shops mentioned so far are not out to steal or rob you of your money.

4dmin
01-18-2007, 05:15 PM
you got a miata maybe this will help ya out and this ride was featured over 2 years ago \/

http://www.importatlanta.com/features/2004/august/miata

http://www.importatlanta.com/features/2004/august/miata/images/Featurecars%20001.jpg

Vteckidd
01-18-2007, 05:17 PM
you got a miata maybe this will help ya out and this ride was featured over 2 years ago \/

http://www.importatlanta.com/features/2004/august/miata
HAHA thats ours, its got a gangsta widebody on it now :boobies:

4dmin
01-18-2007, 05:19 PM
no doubt

ueyedgr8tness
01-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Hmm what does the cost of a full tune up cost ?

BLK JDM
01-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Ed @ balanced!!! He's got a reputation of QUALITY tuning. He tunes full out SCCA race cars. He flys all across the WORLD to tune for customers.

As T.I. said as he recieved his award at the BET Awards-"YA CAN HATE IF YA WANNA!!" But he's PROVEN!!. No one I mean NO ONE on the East Coast has tuned more cars than him.

Men lie
Women lie
Numbers don't lie

Tracy
01-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Ed doesn't "work" at Balanced, BTW. He just uses their dyno becuase it's across the street from his real job.

3.5altman
01-18-2007, 06:51 PM
I say go to lil Ray Ray's House of Performance on Shakalock street.

Vteckidd
01-18-2007, 06:54 PM
No one I mean NO ONE on the East Coast has tuned more cars than him.

Man, Jeff Evans must not be busy at all anymore :crazy:

fawk_you
01-18-2007, 11:41 PM
yes maam :)

see you soon :yes:
Thoguht it was only sitting at 270... isnt he selling it? :(

Vteckidd
01-18-2007, 11:43 PM
Thoguht it was only sitting at 270... isnt he selling it? :(
he decided to keep it, it made 290whp, then we stepped it down to a smaller turbo

fawk_you
01-18-2007, 11:44 PM
he decided to keep it, it made 290whp, then we stepped it down to a smaller turbo
Oh ok, last time I saw him and Bran. he mentioned selling it. If you dont mind me asking, what was the numbers he put down with the smaller turbo? T25 or what?

Vteckidd
01-18-2007, 11:45 PM
he makes around 230-250whp now . its alot more fun to drive without the lag the 290whp had

fawk_you
01-18-2007, 11:51 PM
he makes around 230-250whp now . its alot more fun to drive without the lag the 290whp had

Cool, good shit. And I bet that was alot of lag... but the power had to be fun in that car... mine is fun as is. I could only imagine.

redgst97
01-19-2007, 12:41 AM
Just my thoughts....

I have heard a lot of good things about Ed @ Balanced.
Sorry, but I dont know anything about the Mainstream guys...but they seem to have a great reputation.
I spoke to Dan at Battleground a while back about tuning my Eclipse, and he definatley knows his stuff!

So, basically, I am no help at all.... I dont think you can go "wrong" with any of them, though.

John

BLK JDM
01-19-2007, 07:12 AM
Man, Jeff Evans must not be busy at all anymore :crazy:

Do you really think Jeff has tuned more than Ed?? Look how long Ed's been tuning.

Not that it says anything about him as a tuner but Ed was 1 of the 1st 100 people to have hondata software when it was introduced. Ed's been tuning since he was in college at GA Tech!!!

Like I said-You can hate if you wanna!!

BLK JDM
01-19-2007, 07:14 AM
Ed doesn't "work" at Balanced, BTW. He just uses their dyno becuase it's across the street from his real job.

You are correct-Ed does not work at Balanced. He uses their facility b/c of convenience. That's a perk about Ed-he'll go where ever you want. Just e-mail him you won't be dissapointed.

Oh and Sunbelt is no longer across the street from Balanced. They were bought over and moved to a new larger, state of the art complex. That shit is pimp!!!

Big Baller
01-19-2007, 07:47 AM
No one is talking shit about ED, I think most of the tuners in Georgia have nothing but respect for ED. He tunes a lot of Race Cars, but I can assure you there are guys on the east coast that have tuned more cars than ED. Its funny how peoples knowledge is so limited by where they live.

4dmin
01-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Just my thoughts....

I have heard a lot of good things about Ed @ Balanced.
Sorry, but I dont know anything about the Mainstream guys...but they seem to have a great reputation.
I spoke to Dan at Battleground a while back about tuning my Eclipse, and he definatley knows his stuff!

So, basically, I am no help at all.... I dont think you can go "wrong" with any of them, though.

John

:lmao: damit John just confuse the boy! :D

Vteckidd
01-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Like I said-You can hate if you wanna!!

Well im willing tp put money down that we tune more hondas in the last year than Ed, or any shop in GA for that matter.

Ed isnt doing 5-6 cars a week, sorry, i know people at balanced. My GF actually gets alot of her work done up there on her Race ITR. so dont think im "hating" when i know jason.

Ed is a good tuner, and you cant go wrong with him, but saying hes the best, an no one is close, sorry, that aint true.

saying he tunes more cars than anyone on the east coast, sorry, that aint true either.

lets not spread misinformation, you guys stated why you liked ED, theres nothing wrong with that and i support that, but leave it at that.

BLK JDM
01-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Well im willing tp put money down that we tune more hondas in the last year than Ed, or any shop in GA for that matter.

Ed isnt doing 5-6 cars a week, sorry, i know people at balanced. My GF actually gets alot of her work done up there on her Race ITR. so dont think im "hating" when i know jason.

Ed is a good tuner, and you cant go wrong with him, but saying hes the best, an no one is close, sorry, that aint true.

saying he tunes more cars than anyone on the east coast, sorry, that aint true either.

lets not spread misinformation, you guys stated why you liked ED, theres nothing wrong with that and i support that, but leave it at that.

Noticed I didn't say anything about how many hondas he's tuned. I said cars!! The tuning Ed does out of Balanced is about 1/10th the amount of tuning he does. He runs 2 engine dynoes at Sunbelt. Tuning isn't Ed's hobby it's his career. He's out of town tuning more than he is here, and when he's here he's generally on the engine dynoes.

Yall are the ones that don't know. Ed doesn't build or machine. He tunes!!

What misinformation have I spread??

BigBaller-I know Mustang guys from the NorthEast that get tuned by Ed. I've known them before I knew Ed. He's well known more than in GA. Ask any pro SCCA guy around the country if they know Ed. And I guarantee you they've heard of him or have used his tuning services. He tunes more road race cars that drag or street cars.

93H22ACX
01-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Ed uses some of our old maps that are close to our new setups and go from there. It does literally take him an hour tops for our cars.

Peter's gold hatch took 1.5 hours with WOT and full drivability.

But everyone's engine runs differently...he's always tuned our cars fast with good results.

oh and it did take Ed like 30 minutes or so on Danny's car. but it was all WOT pulls....

from scratch?

Boostedek
01-19-2007, 11:56 AM
yea i seen ed tune..does good job..

Shawn
01-19-2007, 02:20 PM
this is a funny thread haha

Vteckidd
01-19-2007, 02:35 PM
What misinformation have I spread??

No one I mean NO ONE on the East Coast has tuned more cars than him.

i think thats misinformation, sorry.

Shawn
01-19-2007, 03:03 PM
There is good and bad about every tuner. I have no experience with Dan so I can not say anything about him, but I have experience with Ed, Scotty, and Doug, not all my cars, but cars I have been involved in building and I was there for the tuning process. I can give you + and - comments on all 3. Its all personal preference and who you think can do the best job with your application. Just ignore all the bickering from these biased people.

Vteckidd
01-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Ed will take care of you, hes a great tuner, ive never said he wasnt.

Dan is a great tuner, and i stand behind him

scotty is a great tuner, and i stand behind him

Shawn
01-19-2007, 03:37 PM
So conclusion is exactly what I stated earlier, go to who suits your schedule and appliction best :)

Vteckidd
01-19-2007, 04:30 PM
*high five*

Big Baller
01-19-2007, 04:38 PM
FAGS

HiPSI
01-19-2007, 04:45 PM
So conclusion is exactly what I stated earlier, go to who suits your schedule and appliction best :)

couldn't have put it better.

Project:PULL
01-19-2007, 04:48 PM
St00pid Fast - in Houston

myfonti
01-20-2007, 09:35 PM
i just dealt with mike and charles at mainstream on thursday and they are all good guys... for 1, they are cheaper and good, nice people. im waiting for a clutch so i can boost high... charles and dave said they will both hook me up... ill give them a chance. besides, i left my mainstream sticker on the counter last time i was there... i need to get it back!