PDA

View Full Version : Hydrolocked Engine

BimmerMan
01-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Anyone experience a hydrolocked engine? what did you do? I have heard of hydrolocked engines being taken apart and put back together and magically working again. any know anything about this? or what have you done when it happened to you?

i4_garage
01-16-2007, 08:20 PM
time to upgrade :)

TheGodfather
01-16-2007, 08:24 PM
[']time to upgrade :)

Agreed, get a new engine. It will be easier in the longrun.

brads94accord
01-16-2007, 08:25 PM
well first things first check to see if the motor turns over..you may have just fouled out the plugs. just turn the crank manually to check that.

BimmerMan
01-16-2007, 08:41 PM
what if the engine turns but won't start... plugs are good...

jmmx258
01-16-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm a motocross racer, plus i Do all my own work, and used to race sprint cars as well. I've seen Hydro locked motors. Ususally happens when ur motor is literally filled with liquid, namely antifreeze. I've never seen it in anything with more than 2 cylinders. If the motor just shut off, ur probably fine and just could have the head decked, and put a new head gasket in it. Everysingle time i've seen it, bad things have happened, i've seen cylinder competely split in two lol.

I could be wrong in this case. But everytime i've seen something hydro locked..that was the case, full of coolant. Good luck, with what ever the issue may be.

Siverprobegt
01-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Change the motor,or change the rods an piston...If the motor really did hydolock,dont take the chance with it!I hydrolock 2 engines before,i took the sparkplug out,turn the motor,an then replace the plug....1 week later,the 2 engine throw a rod...You never know if the rods and pistons got damage

GermanMuscle
01-18-2007, 12:03 PM
what kind of engine do you have and then we can tell you if its worth it or not

Z U L8R
01-18-2007, 02:24 PM
if an engine is hydro locked it means the cylinders are filled with fluid...either coolant, or fuel, maybe even oil (which is - not recommended - but intentionally done sometimes in order to get a crankshaft bolt off by shade tree mechanics with wallmart tools). in any case, if your motor is hydro locked you will not be able to turn the crankshaft ie using the starter and or a breaker bar & socket.

if the motor will spin then it's not hydro locked if it doesn't spin, then you need to check the oil dipstick to see if you didn't just have no oil in it and seize the motor which in that case it's trashed and u need an engine. you're also checking the dipstick to see if the oil level is super duper high and passed the fill marks, which if it is you need to drain the oil. THEN remove all the spark plugs and spin the motor over WITH A BREAKER BAR AND A SOCKET and see what the cylinders are filled with.

if it's coolant then you've probably got a bad head gasket or intake gasket, and or crack in the head/block.

if it's fuel then you probably have a leaking injector o-ring, improperly installed injector, or a broken injector. and the reason i said to spin it over manually and not with the starter is because if it is filled with gas, when you bump the starter you're going to have a rocket ship of fuel squirt out of the cylinders and get all over the place not to mention your ignition system is going to deliver spark (unless you've disabled it first) and you could potentially have a REALLY big fire, an eyeful of gasoline, and a really bad day. :D

first decipher if it's actually hydrolocked and not seized up. then determine what the cylinders are filled with. and tell us what you found.:ninja: