PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods SPEC OUT A B SERIES BOOSTED BUILD

BABY J
01-16-2007, 03:34 PM
I know what this thread is gonna turn into, and that's EXACTLY what I want. LOL. I am looking for 500whp RELIABLY on high boost. Here are the constraints.

** pump gas
** daily driven on low boost HAS to be an option
** LS Block - sleeved (85mm)
** VTEC Head
** Hondata S300

The rest is wide open (static compression, snail size, etc). Also - the sleeving has not been done, so it can still be changed. I am looking at a modified Full Race kit, but MSP is probably where everything except the block will come together. I am way past due for getting one of my projects down there. I will not pretend to know everything there is about selecting turbos or boost setups. For all intensive purposes this needs to be a street setup and occasional track car. Suggestions? Post 'em up.

2.0civic
01-16-2007, 03:36 PM
*WAITS FOR THE BULLSHIT TO ENTER THE THREAD*

BABY J
01-16-2007, 03:38 PM
I know - so yummy!! I can see it now "well my cousins next door neighbors friend had..." LOL. I am just looking for ideas - I could stop at Colletti or SSC here in Indy and have them spec it and build it. But there are a hundred ways to skin a cat. I think there is more tuning knowledge on this forum than a lot of the others I am on.

99SI
01-16-2007, 04:55 PM
See what you do is get a b series block and head, shove it as far up your ass as you can fit it. then stick a blow off valve in your ass behind it, then when you fart it will sound like you are turbo. Should be good for 600ahp (ass horse power). Go fuck yourself with the intercooler piping and you should be good to go.

CHADbee
01-16-2007, 04:57 PM
i drive a neon so i really dont know shit but....
-TDF, full race, lovefab, ect....equal length tubular manifold
-1000cc injectors
-GT35 or a 60 trim with a large exhaust housing(maxxed the fuck out)
-MSPi FMIC and piping
-omni/rocket motorsports head package(need more revs cause u will have a good amount of lag)
-port & polished head
-3 angle valve job
-ITR/CTR cams
-9:1 pistons
-good rods
-eldebrock intake mani(best one for boosted cars)
-all bearings/studs
-tranny with a LSD

:D

2.0civic
01-16-2007, 04:58 PM
See what you do is get a b series block and head, shove it as far up your ass as you can fit it. then stick a blow off valve in your ass behind it, then when you fart it will sound like you are turbo. Should be good for 600ahp (ass horse power). Go fuck yourself with the intercooler piping and you should be good to go.

LIRL the fuck?

BABY J
01-16-2007, 04:58 PM
LMAO!!!!! U M*THA F*CKA!!!!!! HA HA. My research is showing me what turbo (size) family to go with. But the kits I am looking up expects you to be at OEM CRs. If I bump/lower that far from factory static CR then I will be forced to know what the hell I am doing when I pick the snail - and uhhh... yeah, I don't. LMAO!!!

BABY J
01-16-2007, 05:04 PM
i drive a neon so i really dont know shit but....
-TDF, full race, lovefab, ect....equal length tubular manifold
-1000cc injectors
-GT35 or a 60 trim with a large exhaust housing(maxxed the fuck out)
-MSPi FMIC and piping
-omni/rocket motorsports head package(need more revs cause u will have a good amount of lag)
-port & polished head
-3 angle valve job
-ITR/CTR cams
-9:1 pistons
-good rods
-eldebrock intake mani(best one for boosted cars)
-all bearings/studs
-tranny with a LSD
:D

Yeah - Pee-ons drive Neons. LOL. J/k. I think u are way large on injectors for 500 wheel don't you? I mean it's gonna idle like crap (?) if at all?? As far as the head goes it will be the only thing I get done locally, and I learned the rules as far as overlap goes w/ boost. Why not 10:0 or even 10:5 and lay boost on top of that so it's not a pig off boost? As far as rods go - I think Carillos is the end game - but SCAT makes the lightest shit on the planet, and it's strong. But I guess worrying about weight is an N/A thing ---> and that's where my heart is. Maybe I need to say F*CK the weight of the rod in a boosted setup:thinking: . I am not sure if Edelbrock is the best for boost, but I DO see a bunch of people praise that mani - that COULD be b/c it's more affordable though - grrrrr... so many options WTF!!! Thanx Chad:goodjob:

iloveboost
01-16-2007, 05:30 PM
GT30R
9.8-10:1 compression
84mm sleeves - leaves room in case of boo boo
VTEC head
Upgraded valvetrain - Ferrea
850cc injectors

My old non-VTEC Integra made ~510fwhp @ 20psi on pump gas and 400fwhp when it ran off the wastegate. 630fwhp @ 28psi using 112 octane fuel with very conservative timing on a GT3582R. Built and tuned by Main Stream.

It was my daily driven, grocery-gettin, everyday car.

Whatever you do, get a GSR transmission with LSD. My single most important mod after building the car which made a night and day difference.

iloveboost
01-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Edelbrock Victor X manifold hands down.

CHADbee
01-16-2007, 05:42 PM
retro has been runnin 1000cc on his car and it makes 75 less whp than ur looking for and it runs great at idel....also the reason i sugusted the low compression was to be safe as possible and if u ever get used to the power and want more(we all do) u are still good on the injectors and bottom end.

99SI
01-17-2007, 10:19 AM
LMAO!!!!! U M*THA F*CKA!!!!!! HA HA. My research is showing me what turbo (size) family to go with. But the kits I am looking up expects you to be at OEM CRs. If I bump/lower that far from factory static CR then I will be forced to know what the hell I am doing when I pick the snail - and uhhh... yeah, I don't. LMAO!!!
I would do an OEM style flat top forged piston with either a little thicker headgasket or the right head to give between 9.2-10.1 compression. No higher than that though. The T3 HO super 60 should be a good turbo, MSPi has been using the turbonetics turbos b/c of the excellent warranty as well as a quality product and had great results. The HO turbo is plenty to achieve your goals and won't be too laggy. 850cc injectors should be plenty. Get TDF to do you a sheet metal mani, bling bling bitch $$$! J you know you're just talking shit and ain't gonna do nothing. You are all talk, stay with your little EF with nitrous and don't hurt yourself in a turbo car. :tongue1: :lmfao: The blue beast is gone! :cry: I think I'm having withdrawls.

SPOOLIN
01-17-2007, 01:57 PM
GET A TURBO WITH A LITTLE BALLS BUT NOT TO SMALL, BALL BEARING 62-1. OR A REGULAR 62-1 IS FINE TOO. gt35r would be the second choice.

9.5:1 isnt to sluggish in the streets, mine was perfectly fine and never felt sluggish. You can make that power on stock sleeves but you can get golden eagle sleeves if you are worried for a great price.

BABY J
01-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Stock sleeves - do tell! Hmmmmm ** thinking ** If that's the case then I have the block already to go, less pistons, rods, bearings, studs - well, guess I do not have the block ready to go - LOL. But damn close. But I think I am gonan sleeve it NEway. I barely wanna spend the money to do it right, so I DEF am not gonna wanna spend the money to do it twice.

Supacharge
01-17-2007, 03:27 PM
i run 8.8:1 c/r and it's great on the street. turbo spools verry fast

vtecace23
01-17-2007, 06:05 PM
what size turbo?

Vteckidd
01-21-2007, 11:26 PM
EAgle Rods
CP pistons 9.8-10.0:1
ARP headstuds
60-1
750cc injectors

buy a Peakboost kit, for the money, we have made 450whp barely pushing a rods an pistons GSR.

SPOOLIN
01-22-2007, 07:49 AM
peak boost does make NICE kits

93H22ACX
01-22-2007, 10:00 AM
drag kit with nitrous :)

BABY J
03-08-2007, 11:35 AM
^^ I am keeping the spray for my N/A build - I"m not gonna spray + boost unless it's for the intercooler only. I have decided to go sleeved vs unsleeved. What's this I hear about Golden Eagle sleeves + a warranty as well?? Might be just hearsay.

SPOOLIN
03-08-2007, 12:24 PM
^^ I am keeping the spray for my N/A build - I"m not gonna spray + boost unless it's for the intercooler only. I have decided to go sleeved vs unsleeved. What's this I hear about Golden Eagle sleeves + a warranty as well?? Might be just hearsay.

I use GE, they offer a 1 year warranty against workmanship and sinking(which they cant now) and a lifetime against cracking. Best price as well.

BABY J
03-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Ok - thanx. Well - it is time to start. Mike and I are slated to exchange some cash next Thurs to start this bitch. And just so no1 starts talking shit --> I am sleeving JUST b/c I think it's smart since I started w/ a used (but clean) LS block. I am still not looking to ever make more than 500whp on this build EVER - it will always be my daily. So save the "sleeved but only $5XX wheel:thinking: " comments when this project gets completed. LOL. That'll be plenty of power to land me in jail or wrap myself around a tree.

bigdare23
03-08-2007, 01:14 PM
500hp? You couldn't handle the 98hp your hatch made. BABYJ FTL

BABY J
03-08-2007, 01:25 PM
^^ My InlinePro build made 98whp w/ the ignition off sir. U don't want it running - trust that. LOL.

bigdare23
03-08-2007, 01:27 PM
LOL

soplocar
03-08-2007, 05:43 PM
golden eagle are good sleeves, but you always want to do it right the first time, get AEBS 84mm sleeves for 1080bucks, that includes shipping!

BABY J
03-08-2007, 05:48 PM
** hmm ** <insert sleeves debate here> And I really want to know - Inline Pro did not give me much of a choice - not to mention Jeremy knows his shit so I shut the hell up and let him do his thing. But that was an N/A build.

-- so

you say GE are good "but" --> so tell me your reasons for choosing AEBS over GE for a B series build. I mean - AEBS has not "always" been producing their own sleeves - just in case you didn't know that. Hell - let's just throw Benson into the mix as well - and yeah, I know they moved shops so they have a backlog but they can still get the job done - Darton MIDs? I want some reputable posts from people who have done this. Either way I am leaning on the Mike's suggestions - MSP are pros in my eyes --> but I still am always trying to learn.

SPOOLIN
03-08-2007, 09:35 PM
lol, please elaborate on how golden eagle wouldnt be "doing it right the first time". better yet, please enlighten us because your statement was rather weak. There are people with bseries making 1000hp just fine on GE sleeves. I am not even close to being sold on Darton MID sleeves either, the install process and how they sit in the block is just not enough.

BABY J
03-08-2007, 10:12 PM
** waiting **
** insert theme from Jeopardy **

Doo doo doo doo doo doo doooooooo,
Doo doo doo doo DO. Dodo dodo do.
Doo doo doo doo doo doo doooooooo,
DO. Do do do do. Do. Do. Bang bong.

BABY J
03-16-2007, 10:15 AM
So I assume you have no argument on why or how AEBS > GE.

BABY J
05-31-2007, 04:01 PM
ttt - It has begun. My Inline Pro built NA block will be pulled next week. SSC-DAS (Joe Demaree's shop) will be handling the build. Wish me luck. We decided to scrap the sleeved LS block and go w/ the unsleeved GSR block (oil squirters). More details to come. Thanx every1 for your help. I will be using the sleeved LS block for something else though in the future. Thanx every1 for your suggestions. I will update this thread as needed. I will be adding pics as well - picking up a decent camera at Best Buy this weekend.

Mike - you are a Godsend and have forgotten more shit than most people know. Thanx for all of your help/advice. It's on.

** STILL OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS AND TIPS **

BABY J
01-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Got an update from SSC today. We are a few items away from installation --- due to some changes I made and also me focusing on getting my Datsun 510 chassis done I've been on hold. Full speed ahead to get this b*tch buttoned up.

out with the old: :ninja:

http://gallery.mac.com/careybales/100125/IMG_0117/web.jpg
http://gallery.mac.com/careybales/100125/IMG_0118/web.jpg
http://gallery.mac.com/careybales/100125/IMG_0119/web.jpg

in with the new::ninja:

http://gallery.mac.com/careybales/100125/IMG_0120/web.jpg
http://gallery.mac.com/careybales/100125/IMG_0121/web.jpg
http://gallery.mac.com/careybales/100125/IMG_0123/web.jpg

BABY J
01-16-2008, 09:56 PM
Be ready...

bigdare23
01-16-2008, 10:04 PM
in with the new::ninja:

http://gallery.mac.com/careybales/100125/IMG_0120/web.jpg
http://gallery.mac.com/careybales/100125/IMG_0121/web.jpg
http://gallery.mac.com/careybales/100125/IMG_0123/web.jpg

oooOOOOOOO shiny

Da_unknown
01-16-2008, 10:13 PM
very nice

NAG2I
01-17-2008, 12:07 AM
oh this makes me excited to get my block back.
good luck man i'll be keeping my eye on the build looks awsome!

AnclyT
01-17-2008, 08:00 AM
gt42r, 1600cc, and slicks :goodjob:

japan4racing
01-17-2008, 11:07 AM
buy a Peakboost kit, for the money, we have made 450whp barely pushing a rods an pistons GSR.

:goodjob: peakboost kit on my stock gsr almost got me into the 11's!!!

BABY J
01-17-2008, 11:23 AM
gt42r, 1600cc, and slicks :goodjob:

It's only 83.5 mil. Decided to go unsleeved since it's a DD. I think that the 42r is too much for anything less than 2l. I will go all out on my Datto 510 though. Since this is a 1.8L, I am going w/ a necked-down 35r or a big A/R 30R. My head is SERIOUS (DPR stage 5 that I tried to give away for 1600 on here but no1 bought, decided to bolt it to something for the 1st time - lol) so I have some leeway I think. Initial thread was a 500 wheel HIGH boost B... that was when I was gonna sleeve it. I am dropping those goals to 400whp. I won't tune it on the edge to get there... if I see 380 on a safe "5 year" tune, then so be it. I will be happy regardless.

- 83.5mm B18C
- CP 9.8:1
- Eagle H's
- DPR S5 head
- etc

anothaRRR
01-17-2008, 11:42 AM
It's only 83.5 mil.
On stock sleeves?

Vteckidd
01-17-2008, 11:50 AM
On stock sleeves?
GO BOOM

83.5mm on stock sleeves youll be lucky if it lasts 1 pull at 5psi.

Based on your pictures, that is not a 83.5mm block, looks to be more like a 81mm-81.5mm.

83.5mm on stock sleeves is REALLY THIN, almost paper thin.

Most you can go on stock sleeves is 82mm

anothaRRR
01-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Yeah I highly doubt its 83.5, they look almost stock size..

BLK JDM
01-17-2008, 12:23 PM
I was thinking the same thing. 83.5 is asking for trouble on stock sleeves. Now if it was 83.5 sleeved then you'll be fine. I actually prefer 83mm sleeved blocks b/c you have a lot more room for error and more surface area for the headgasket to seal. Remember you want a daily driver-longevity is key!!

Vteckidd
01-17-2008, 12:37 PM
I was thinking the same thing. 83.5 is asking for trouble on stock sleeves. Now if it was 83.5 sleeved then you'll be fine. I actually prefer 83mm sleeved blocks b/c you have a lot more room for error and more surface area for the headgasket to seal. Remember you want a daily driver-longevity is key!!
:cheers:

BLK JDM
01-17-2008, 12:41 PM
:cheers:

Thanks-you get that EG yet?? PM me price for the chassis. I've been meaning to call you but I don't b/c I don't know your schedule or what you've decided to do w/ it. And please PM me some pics or a link where I can see some pics of it. That thread you made was a str8 tease.

BABY J
01-17-2008, 01:31 PM
My bad -- -I was typing too fast. Block is:

81.5mm

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120008&highlight=pistons

Demaree is not gonna let me blow it up until after I leave the shop. LMAO! And BTW - the grenaded B16 in the pic is a result of a fuel solenoid locking down. I hurt it on one pull @ 125hp shot. Backed off the jetting and sprayed it heavily another month at 100hp shot. Since then, I mount ALL noids inside the car under the glove compartment. It keeps the temperatures more stable. The temperatures in Indianapolis went through too many extremes and it's HELL on noids to heat and then get below freezing. Every pull on the gas there w/ the noids under the hood was like a slot machine... u never knew when a noid would lock down. My luck ran out.

Vteckidd
01-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks-you get that EG yet?? PM me price for the chassis. I've been meaning to call you but I don't b/c I don't know your schedule or what you've decided to do w/ it. And please PM me some pics or a link where I can see some pics of it. That thread you made was a str8 tease.
Ill be going to get it Sat morning, unless the guy back out in the next 24 hours it seems its on like donkey kong.

Ill let you know more once i have it, PM me for pics

KevinT707
01-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Yo J, lately I've been looking at turbo builds for the CRX also. I've been wanting 400 WHP ever since I had my motor built. Anyway, you'll have some competion soon ;) .. in the meantime I'll run your turbo setup on nitrous :goodjob:. If your setup puts down 400WHP I'm still not sure if you can handle my NAWS :D

BABY J
01-17-2008, 02:20 PM
It's really gonna be a personal milestone really --> not tryna be a badass or outrun any1. I stopped building shi.t for the masses years ago and I do it for ME, and MY pace --- as fast or as slow as I choose. I have other hobbies than cars that require money. But I won't mind beating it up. I'd love to make 400whp - I think my head:

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125071&highlight=stage

will be the key to higher numbers, but I won't push it past what Joe suggests. I also know it's easier done w/ a 2.0L, and if I am WAYY shy of 400 wheel then a sleeved 2L will be my last Honda project for quite some time as I am gearing up for my 1st RWD car since my mustang in high school (the Datto 510). I won't tune it on the ragged edge just to lay down a number... and I can careless what it will lay down on race gas.... as it'll never see it.

I DO know that 400 wheel in my chassis will be a kick in the pants (for me). And I also know that I will be nowhere near the fastest guy out there. And we can def play a bit. It's coming together nicely and I will get video of the tuning session.

I will keep the thread updated definitely.

KevinT707
01-18-2008, 12:24 AM
I DO know that 400 wheel in my chassis will be a kick in the pants (for me). And I also know that I will be nowhere near the fastest guy out there. And we can def play a bit. It's coming together nicely and I will get video of the tuning session.

I will keep the thread updated definitely.
With the setup you posted it should hit 400 WHP no problem, I know you have money so that is not an issue. Even 350 WHP will feel fast in such a light car, you'll have fun.

AnclyT
01-18-2008, 08:18 PM
you're doing so much, your motor is going to be apart, i don't see why not just go and get it sleeved

it just leaves more options open,
later down the road you can upgrade if you want, or at least have a peace in mind knowing your sleeves are gravy

BABY J
01-18-2008, 08:33 PM
^^

The block is already together - it's not coming back apart. LOL.

I almost agree man. But I had to make a decision on what car is REALLY gonna be a street-fighter, and after a year in Indianapolis (v8 central) I realized that FWD just doesn't work. I am a Honda guy to my heart (that's obvious) -- I won't jump ship and go w/ v8s -- but my Datsun 510 really has my focus w/ it being RWD. I truly want the EF to be a DD, and yes - if/when I hurt the motor bad enuff or run across a sleeved block for decent coin I will play ball - but I know me, I won't stop at 400 wheel w/ a sleeved block. And I truly believe that 400wheel on some stickies w/ a traction bar and some 200# or 300# rears is about the limits for a daily driven car. Anything over that and it's a racecar - that's how I think of it at least. And I don't wanna do that. I'd love to see 500whp Lt1 or sr20 in my 510 chassis though. I'd be happy w/ those numbers.

In short - no sleeves limits my fun, which is EXACTLY the way I want it for a DD - that will keep me grounded.

BABY J
12-09-2008, 04:45 PM
The beast has been back in GA for over a month --- awaiting Mr. Senf for a tune - Jan or Feb. Made a lot of changes since I started this thread --- if you watch my subsequent FS threads over the next coupla weeks then it won't be too hard to figure out.

Just be ready this Spring ladies. Thanx for all the help/ideas/suggestions.

bigdare23
12-09-2008, 04:57 PM
^^^BS

BABY J
12-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Watch and learn young grasshoppa.

k3tsurui
12-21-2008, 05:08 AM
What pistons did you end up using? Did the intake seats come pre-notched like that or did you had them done? I don't know if it is the picture quality but they look kind of janky. Anyways keep us posted with some updates on the car. I want to see how this will turn out because I am planning on building a boosted R in the near future here.