PDA

View Full Version : B16A Tranny Question.

jmmx258
01-14-2007, 06:26 PM
I just got done picking up the CRX with the B 16 swap. LOVE the car. Ok, for my question. WHat transmission does this motor use? Just incase I have problems. Will a stock CRX or Civic tranny work? It is a cable clutch as well. Or if possible, where can i pick up an adapter plate to make one work.

95droppedhatch
01-14-2007, 06:37 PM
no a d series tranny will not work you will have to get a b-series tranny that is cable or you can get a hydro one and get the cable to hydraulic conversion kit from hasport

Ltdnismorace
01-14-2007, 08:49 PM
b series motor gotta match up to b series tranny. Internal tranny stuff from Hondas can be interchanged somewhat, but I doubt you wanna get into that, just pick up a tranny from an OBD0 integra if you ever have problems, should be cable B series.

KevinT707
01-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Your OBDO B16 in the CRX is a cable tranny & its probably either an S1 or J1, which pretty much have the same gearing; they're the JDM trannys used in CRXs & DAs I believe. Only tranny you can really use in the US are the LS (DA) and GSR (DA) trans, the LS will suck for your VTEC motor because when you shift it will take you out of VTEC and the GSR cable tranny is rare & hard to find.

I know because my original S1 in my CRX exploded & it was super hard to find a good tranny. Oh btw, when I called HmotorsOnline they wanted $650 shipped for the S1 (16 yr old) tranny, crazy!

jmmx258
01-16-2007, 01:11 AM
other than just in case i have problems, I'd really like to get something to cut down on RPM's. I just drove it down here from PA/OH and was running about 4K most of the trip.

If I can swap out gears in the tranny's that would be great. I dont mind doing the work if it will help. I'm looking to get a 5th gear about like the stock civic transmission, and have the rest of the gearing coincide with it. About the only gear i dont want to change is 1st lol

KevinT707
01-16-2007, 11:20 AM
other than just in case i have problems, I'd really like to get something to cut down on RPM's. I just drove it down here from PA/OH and was running about 4K most of the trip.

If I can swap out gears in the tranny's that would be great. I dont mind doing the work if it will help. I'm looking to get a 5th gear about like the stock civic transmission, and have the rest of the gearing coincide with it. About the only gear i dont want to change is 1st lol
You really don't want to do that if you still want your B16 to be quick, it will be slow with longer gears; say out of an LS. I have read that people have put an LS 5th gear in the S1/J1 (B16 trans) though, to reduce RPMs on the HWY.

I'm not sure if other gears are interchangeable, if someone else knows then please tell me.

jmmx258
01-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Even if i could just get a lower 5th gear would be fantastic. I'm new to georgia about a month ago. I've come to realize its a TON of highway driving usually. In my civic, the gearing was fine. I even had to down shift at times on the highway. I love the power of the CRX, and the fact that i can be doin 70 in 5th and roll on it and it gets up and goes. But, i also wouldnt mind having to downshift, for sake of MPG lol. It gets a little over 30..but, i want morrrre haha.