PDA

View Full Version : Child support laws ???

sidewayz
01-12-2007, 09:13 AM
Alright guys im 19 years old and my dad owes 20,000+ .He was my moms second husaband and IM NOT HIS KID , but he did adopt me and they got divorced. Well before you guys say "you shouldnt be hittin up that guy for money" or anything like that , just know he beat the fuck out of me since the divorce (that was when i was six) till i was thirteen and he found a new wife and kicked me straight the fuck out ............ Well anyways to the point . He is tryin to say since im past 18 he DOES NOT have to pay the backtime child support . So does anyone on here know ????

please keep all negative shit to yourself cause i am really not in the mood to be roasted on cause im a noob

HEATON
01-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Well, not too up on current issues like this, but technically yes, since he adopted you he became a legal guardian. So he is legally binding to pay. BUT since you are over 18, I dont see why he would have to pay. Like if you were only 17, then he would have to pay all owed childsupport.

Side note. Not bein negative or trying to suggest anything, but if he was abusive why not just forget about him all together. Unless yall still have somewhat a relationshp. Jus my opinion and feel free to tell me to shut up. No worries. Can't go wrong with talkin to an attorney about this though, in civil cases go with one of those he only collects if you do typeadeals. You may not get the whole 20k but you better believe he'd work his ass off to get you a majority of it.

sidewayz
01-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Well, not too up on current issues like this, but technically yes, since he adopted you he became a legal guardian. So he is legally binding to pay. BUT since you are over 18, I dont see why he would have to pay. Like if you were only 17, then he would have to pay all owed childsupport.

Side note. Not bein negative or trying to suggest anything, but if he was abusive why not just forget about him all together. Unless yall still have somewhat a relationshp. Jus my opinion and feel free to tell me to shut up. No worries. Can't go wrong with talkin to an attorney about this though, in civil cases go with one of those he only collects if you do typeadeals. You may not get the whole 20k but you better believe he'd work his ass off to get you a majority of it.

havent talked to him guess he gotta paper in the mail today and called my mom cussin her out talkin bout he wouldnt gonna pay

Rican219
01-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Yes he should be paying up "IF" it was court ordered for him to pay child support. If you can get your hands on that document your in buisness.

Backpay is a bitch that is why I pay my child support every month

sidewayz
01-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Yes he should be paying up "IF" it was court ordered for him to pay child support. If you can get your hands on that document your in buisness.

Backpay is a bitch that is why I pay my child support every month

yeah it was court ordered and i really wasnt worried about it , but he called my mom talkin shit and plus i got the hpook up on skylines and i know i could get a damn nice one for 20,000

HEATON
01-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Yeah, if he got a paper today, most likely it was a court order or summon then. Be best to find out what he got and who sent it.

sidewayz
01-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Yeah, if he got a paper today, most likely it was a court order or summon then. Be best to find out what he got and who sent it.

alright man thanks

Leisa
01-12-2007, 10:20 AM
alrighty.. this is my favorite subject as well..hehehehe... Yes if it was court ordered he will definitely have to pay... you can go to the courthouse and locate the paperwork.. it is publicly available... also if you are in school full time, then it should state whether or not he has to pay until that secondary school in completed or if it states an age for it to be completed. Keep in mind that just because you become of age of completion of the child support he is still required to pay anything that has not been paid...I am currently in the same boat as you however its my kids father that is about 15,000 behind in child support... Im trying to do something about that now...

Hektik
01-12-2007, 10:44 AM
im alittle on the other side of the topic here but shouldnt u be more concerned about helping ur mother out with the 20g rather than thinking about getting a skyline...

anyways if he was court ordered before u became of age which im assuming he was since he owes back pay he is still responsible to pay . the thing is and im not sure he might also go to jail for not paying.. like someone else said get a lawyer and get one that will work on a percentage of the winnings not one that s going to charge u houhrly. god luck .....

Leisa
01-12-2007, 10:48 AM
I have to agree with you on this one ^^^^... I would imagine that you mother deserves some of that money, after all child support is supposed to assist the mother in raising you, feeding you, and putting a roof over your head and clothes on your back... and not go to buying a car. I would rethink that idea.

2.0civic
01-12-2007, 10:51 AM
im alittle on the other side of the topic here but shouldnt u be more concerned about helping ur mother out with the 20g rather than thinking about getting a skyline...

anyways if he was court ordered before u became of age which im assuming he was since he owes back pay he is still responsible to pay . the thing is and im not sure he might also go to jail for not paying.. like someone else said get a lawyer and get one that will work on a percentage of the winnings not one that s going to charge u houhrly. god luck .....

exactly...my mom dipped out on me and my sister when i was 2 and she was 5...she owes over 35k in child support but my only thing with your situation is that you ARE NOT biologically his kid....If your mom and him got divorced, you are now HER responsibility...

I think im missing something but why did HE kick you out after the divorce? No offense but it almost seems to me that you are just after it for money...which is fucked up to begin with...just cut your losses and move the fuck on with your life instead of trying to get shit for free:goodjob:

2.0civic
01-12-2007, 10:52 AM
I have to agree with you on this one ^^^^... I would imagine that you mother deserves some of that money, after all child support is supposed to assist the mother in raising you, feeding you, and putting a roof over your head and clothes on your back... and not go to buying a car. I would rethink that idea.

EXACTLY...Child support=Money that court awards the other party to help raise the child, not buy them some shit they want 10 years down the road...and why is he pushing the issue and not his mom?

Leisa
01-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Im going to assume because the guy adopted him and gave him his name he is now legally his son, despite the fact they are no longer together... He was court ordered to pay child support,.. which I can understand, but I dont understand the fact that he is now pushing the issue and not the other parent... at this point an attorney would need to get involved I think.. however.. he did receive some type of paperwork file with the courts ( the father)... so I would think that he does have some type of case...

2.0civic
01-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Im going to assume because the guy adopted him and gave him his name he is now legally his son, despite the fact they are no longer together... He was court ordered to pay child support,.. which I can understand, but I dont understand the fact that he is now pushing the issue and not the other parent... at this point an attorney would need to get involved I think.. however.. he did receive some type of paperwork file with the courts ( the father)... so I would think that he does have some type of case...

bingo...i think its cause although his mom may have needed the money, she did the best SHE could to raise him and now the monetary aspect isnt important to her now that he is grown

2.0civic
01-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Alright guys im 19 years old and my dad owes 20,000+ .He was my moms second husaband and IM NOT HIS KID , but he did adopt me and they got divorced. Well before you guys say "you shouldnt be hittin up that guy for money" or anything like that , just know he beat the fuck out of me since the divorce (that was when i was six) till i was thirteen and he found a new wife and kicked me straight the fuck out ............ Well anyways to the point . He is tryin to say since im past 18 he DOES NOT have to pay the backtime child support . So does anyone on here know ????

please keep all negative shit to yourself cause i am really not in the mood to be roasted on cause im a noob

what am i missing in the bolded part?? once he kicked you out, where did you live? if not with your mom, it actually doesnt look like he owes YOUR MOM anything at all but who actually took care of you...he doesnt owe YOU anything....if you go into court with that attitude, you can forget getting anything out of it...and if you were beaten for 7 years, why the fuck did you stay with him..

im missing something in this entire story...please explain

hemi
01-12-2007, 11:26 AM
you shouldnt be hittin up that guy for money

Leisa
01-12-2007, 11:30 AM
I agree.... there is definitely alot more to this story than what is posted.... If you were under his care from the age of 6 to 13 , then the mother would be the person who would be receiving this money... Is she now telling him to persue it because he wants this car..... if so thats sad.

sidewayz
01-12-2007, 11:31 AM
what am i missing in the bolded part?? once he kicked you out, where did you live? if not with your mom, it actually doesnt look like he owes YOUR MOM anything at all but who actually took care of you...he doesnt owe YOU anything....if you go into court with that attitude, you can forget getting anything out of it...and if you were beaten for 7 years, why the fuck did you stay with him..

im missing something in this entire story...please explain

well first up i wanted the laws not opinions for two my mother didnt believe me until i finally got a hold of the phone which i wasnt allowed to use at all and called her and she overheard ...for three im not really trying to get shit out of him he just called my mom up today after about 4 years of no contact at all and strarted cussin her out sayin his license were suspended and my mom told me if she got the money it would be MINE and yes i would give her some but as far as what i would do with the rest of it isnt anyone elses buisness i think but for the few of you that had positive posts thank you

Leisa
01-12-2007, 11:40 AM
well first up i wanted the laws not opinions for two my mother didnt believe me until i finally got a hold of the phone which i wasnt allowed to use at all and called her and she overheard ...for three im not really trying to get shit out of him he just called my mom up today after about 4 years of no contact at all and strarted cussin her out sayin his license were suspended and my mom told me if she got the money it would be MINE and yes i would give her some but as far as what i would do with the rest of it isnt anyone elses buisness i think but for the few of you that had positive posts thank you

you got my opinion.. but let me explain, this is IA.. not matter what you start a thread about..expect to give opinions as well as advice.. otherwise hit that big X to the right...

2.0civic
01-12-2007, 11:41 AM

dude, been there, done that. My mom owes my dad over 35k and he doestn persue it cause monetary shit isnt important. Instead, i grew up struggling (lol still am) but thats what makes me who i am today. If you lived with him, he doesnt owe your mom shit..why would he pay HER for YOU if you live with HIM??

instead of bitching about our opinions cause a few of us understand what you are in, why dont you try explaining more about the situation cause laws are laws but theres always technicalitys:goodjob:

Hiro
01-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I think b/c you're over 18 he doesn't have to pay. My parents are split too.

2.0civic
01-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I think b/c you're over 18 he doesn't have to pay. My parents are split too.

ive heard it both ways...ive heard if you are 18 now its too late since you are an adult but at the same time ive hears ince it is backpay then yes but im not 100% on statute of limitations

Leisa
01-12-2007, 11:44 AM

it doesnt matter if he is over 18, the father was court ordered to pay child support so he is basicly in contempt due to him not paying it... he is still liable for that child support not paid.

Hiro
01-12-2007, 11:46 AM
oooh. He fell behind OK, yeah that's true then.

2.0civic
01-12-2007, 11:47 AM
it doesnt matter if he is over 18, the father was court ordered to pay child support so he is basicly in contempt due to him not paying it... he is still liable for that child support not paid.

that may be it if its court ordered before he is 18...i dont understand how he got kicked out at 13, theres a 6 year absence of info and now all of a sudden he wants 20k...i dont get it

my dad pays 400 a month for CS on my half sister so 4800x6 years would be closer to 30k...math and other info doesnt add up...

Leisa
01-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Im going to assume that he went to live with his mother the other 6 years to accumulate the 20 grand

2.0civic
01-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Im going to assume that he went to live with his mother the other 6 years to accumulate the 20 grand

i cant figure out why he was with the stepdad after divorce anyway...why doesnt he try to go after the REAL dad?

JennB
01-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Leisa is right. My mom collected all of my back child support when I was either 19 or 20 and I continued to get it until I was out of college.

sidewayz
01-12-2007, 11:56 AM
i cant figure out why he was with the stepdad after divorce anyway...why doesnt he try to go after the REAL dad?

dude I DIDNT TRY AND GO AFTER NO ONE when it happened yes was ordered to pay and he did pay about one week every 3 months for the first year but now all that shit caught up to him i guess i have no clue exactly what happened on his end i just know he calls my mom up today after years of no communication talkin bout he aint gonna pay and his license are suspened and etc... me and my mom gave up on that shit a long time ago... that is why she said if we do get the money i can have it ...she has a great job , but i woulkd still give her some money if there is anything i missed this time please let me know

JennB
01-12-2007, 11:58 AM
if there is anything i missed this time please let me know

Punctuation?

(sorry, I couldn't help myself)

2.0civic
01-12-2007, 12:00 PM
dude I DIDNT TRY AND GO AFTER NO ONE when it happened yes was ordered to pay and he did pay about one week every 3 months for the first year but now all that shit caught up to him i guess i have no clue exactly what happened on his end i just know he calls my mom up today after years of no communication talkin bout he aint gonna pay and his license are suspened and etc... me and my mom gave up on that shit a long time ago... that is why she said if we do get the money i can have it ...she has a great job , but i woulkd still give her some money if there is anything i missed this time please let me know

like the fact of why you lived with him to begin with from 7-13 instead of with your mom...you say after years of non communcation he calls you out of the blue and now all of a sudden you just conveinently remember the 20k?? come on now...you werent over it or now it wouldnt be an issue.

sidewayz
01-12-2007, 12:06 PM
like the fact of why you lived with him to begin with from 7-13 instead of with your mom...you say after years of non communcation he calls you out of the blue and now all of a sudden you just conveinently remember the 20k?? come on now...you werent over it or now it wouldnt be an issue.

i lived with him cause he wanted me to then and my mom didnt have enough money to get her own place back then and no i dont just remember 20k he brought it up that he owed it and yeah if the court is gonna offer it shit im takin it

2.0civic
01-12-2007, 12:10 PM
I THINK ITS SAD THAT HE TOOK CARE OF YOU EVEN WHEN YOUR MOM APPARENTLY COULDNT AND NOW YOURE AFTER A CHECK...WHAT ABOUT THE 6 YEARS YOU LIVED WITH HIM?? WHY DIDNT YOUR MOM PAY HIM CHILD SUPPORT?? TO ME IT KINDA BALANCES ITSELF OUT

Leisa
01-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Ok.. so his license was suspended due to him not paying child support,.. who filed the papers with the court in order for them to suspend his license?...

Julio
01-12-2007, 03:29 PM
hahahah this thread is lame... he supported you for a few years... YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET a dime.. he needs to fight that shit..

I bet your mom is trying to be a snake now...to bad she wont get a dime.. I hope not!!!

20 k and buy a skyline!!! hahaha laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeee...

~The_Duke~
01-12-2007, 03:32 PM

She is correct, if the child or children are 18+ he no longer owes child support.

thinkfast®
01-12-2007, 03:40 PM
TUPAC SAID

LEMME SEE YA COUGH IT UUUUUHUHUHUHUHUP

I LIKE IT WHEN YOU GIVE IT TO MEEEEE

IGNORANT ASS WHITES, ALWAYS OUT TO MAKE A QUICK BUCK

WHY DONT YOU GO TO SCHOOL, GET A GOOD JOB AND MAKE SHIT HAPPEN FOR YOURSELF

YOU THINK YOU THE ONLY ONE THAT STRUGGLED

GET A GRIP HOMEY

2.0civic
01-12-2007, 04:08 PM
She is correct, if the child or children are 18+ he no longer owes child support.

THEY OWE BACK PAYMENT BUT NOTHING AFTER THE AGE OF 18

~The_Duke~
01-12-2007, 04:11 PM
THEY OWE BACK PAYMENT BUT NOTHING AFTER THE AGE OF 18

This is true, I didnt read the rest of it...lol cas I didnt want to go through 5 pages worth of that aint by baby's daddy stuff...

quickdodge®
01-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Yes he should be paying up "IF" it was court ordered for him to pay child support.

That's the deciding factor right there. Later, QD.

2.0civic
01-12-2007, 04:49 PM
I THINK THERES ALOT OF MISSING INFO FOR ME TO MAKE MY MIND UP ON IF ITS DESERVING OR NOT OR WHAT

TIGERJC
01-12-2007, 05:01 PM
There is nothing better to invest in than a car. IF I had my hands on 20k, that money would be making money for me.

Tracy
01-12-2007, 05:18 PM
I was adopted by my fater in the same way. You are still legally his child whether your he and your mom divorced or not. He still owes back child support even if you are 18 now.

Trust me I know. I'm 29 and my parents still go to court over this crap and they divorced when I was 10. My father actually got custody of me after a few years (the one that adopted me) and in fact I don't speak with my biological mother anymore. My father was ordered to pay child support for the few years I lived with my mom and he still owed the unpaid portion of it after he recieved custody of me. Now my mom owes him child support for when custody of us was granted to my father.

Leadfoot_mf
01-12-2007, 05:29 PM
fuck u

Tracy
01-12-2007, 05:38 PM
and BTW, the money is your mom's unless she wants to give it to you.

BiH1320
01-12-2007, 05:39 PM
Damn. I think you should beat the fuck out of him this time since now ur 18 and not 6 or 13.
Then he will learn a lesson.
If I was in your position. I'd really do it.
Just my opinion.

sidewayz
01-12-2007, 06:50 PM
and by the way tracy
Damn. I think you should beat the fuck out of him this time since now ur 18 and not 6 or 13.
Then he will learn a lesson.
If I was in your position. I'd really do it.
Just my opinion.

you know im VERY glad to see someones actual opinion and b18hatch your right there is a lot of stuff left our but im not gonna go trough my whole life story with people i dont even know and if i did god it would take me 2 hours just to type it and by the way tracy she does want to but also i believe you know my stepdad scott thomas aka checco he worked at ed voyles and he knows george who i believe works there but im not sure but yeah either way me nor my mom is ther type to just take money from ppl but he does deserve it and we tryed to settle with him for just like 2k and we would drop it he does owe US me and my mom something maybe not 20k but something im a very forgiving person i would just accept an appology and i have told him that but he wont agree so and this has all happened today no one has been after him the child support place took it over 2 years ago but thanks to all of you with the positive posts and to all others roast me if you want i dont care i was just askin for info not assholes

Hektik
01-12-2007, 09:55 PM
ok guys im going to have to agree on the kid here. regardless of wether the father is biological or not he made a decision years ago when he married his mother to take him in as a legal son he made a commitment to take care of him. then he left his mother and decided not to pay anything.. no body forced him into signing the papers stating he was the legal custodian. it seems the state has decided to persue the matter and now the stepdad is upset with him and his mother..he DOES owe the back pay and the court WILL make him pay it as long as all documents are in proper order... eventho i beleive the mother deserves the money which she will receive in her name it is her own decision on wether she wants to give it to her son or not... depending on when he was court odered is how much he has to pay 6 years ago it was around 250-300 per month so do the math .. i beleive the 20g is definately in order...

g/l and get a lawyer. its going to be along fight.....

Echonova
01-12-2007, 10:23 PM
He does owe your mom the back child support. You should then sue your mom for 20K for being stupid enough to marry some dumb bastard that smacks her kid around. Feel bad for ya.

RISKYB
01-13-2007, 10:11 AM
i would talk to a lawyer b/c i dont know if you can go back for it now since your already over 18

Hektik
01-13-2007, 12:22 PM
i would talk to a lawyer b/c i dont know if you can go back for it now since your already over 18

HE CAN COLLECT BECASUE IT WAS FILED FOR WHEN HE WAS UNDERAGE AND WHATTHE STEP DAD OWES IS BACKPAY...

PEOPLE PLEASE STOP GIVING MISINFORMATION IF U HAVE NO IDEA

RUFFIAN
01-13-2007, 12:37 PM
I went through this with my dad. he moved to Ga and my mom went and filed on him when I was about that age. He owed me about 60K or so. they went to court on my B-day and it sucked ass to see my mom and dad fighting in court about such B.S. The court found him guilty and he had to pay. the M.F. just went underground and I never got a cent. He's a bitch.:2up: