PDA

View Full Version : Serious Debate. What in your opinon, makes a show or meet make u say "Damm, luv it"??

1SICKLEX
01-11-2007, 09:12 PM
It seems so many meets here run into the same cycle over and over again. My question is what meet or events have you gone too where you left feeling like it was worth every minute. Or even if you left happy or "man, I gotta hook my ride up".
There are always going to be small or down meets but what can we do in 2007 to make the drive (hell gas ain't cheap) and our time really worth it.

dakilla4ever
01-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Any meet where there are more than just a certain type of car. Like for instance, the VARSITY meet. Everyone can dog it as much as they want but more people show up there every 1st thursday of the month than any other meet on IA. So me personally I think it is the amount and variety of vehicles that show up.

Georgia_boy
01-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Any meet where there are more than just a certain type of car. Like for instance, the VARSITY meet. Everyone can dog it as much as they want but more people show up there every 1st thursday of the month than any other meet on IA. So me personally I think it is the amount and variety of vehicles that show up.

x2 :goodjob:

EvasiveEF9
01-11-2007, 11:26 PM
I, too, would like to know. My car club is organizing a Hooter's show/DB Drag in Canton, Ga in late february or early march. I'd like ot know what I need to try to pull off for this show...

As some of you may have remembered, Joker Performance tried teaming up with AudioTrix to pull a show off at a highschool in Marietta where we were told we would have their full support seeing as it was a fundraiser for them. Well, it was wet, cold, miserable, and the school dicked us over in every way possible. We're trying one more attempt at this to give ya'll what you want and make a show worth remembering...for the better.

Just to let ya'll know your input is being ready by at least one person who's trying to organize a show...and I'm sure there's many others.

Thanks to anyone with positive input!

Dudeman
01-12-2007, 12:51 AM
do something other than what everyone else does. everyone does the car show/sound system contest. why not do a grill some food and have some drinks (or a location that will amply provide such) and just have a casual pleasant meet. to me its not the events that make a meet rather than the environment and people, hence my disgust for the varsity only reason i go once in a blue moon is to meet some of my friends and eat some good food.

bdydrpdmazda
01-12-2007, 01:01 AM
I think a show full of strippers would make me say DAYUM and draw a nice crowd, just my opinion though.

joesblk_teg
01-12-2007, 01:39 AM
I think a show full of strippers would make me say DAYUM and draw a nice crowd, just my opinion though.
i'll be there

GTScoob
01-12-2007, 02:32 AM
A bunch of nicely modified cars and lack of ricers. The past SELOC super meets have always been something to look forward to since the Lexus's there are always supernice and a bunch of Euros and exotics always showed up.

My other favorite annual show is the Ga Tech Car Show because it is always a bunch of cleanly modified cars as well as prototypes/concepts and racecars that have been developed by Tech grads.

EvasiveEF9
01-12-2007, 07:08 AM
Food, my club's show will be held at Hooter's who has offered to provide all the food you could ask for. Obviously, it's not free, though. But it'll be served by hooter's girls! If it's warm enough, we might even be able to convince them to wash cars. Hooter's of Canton is also providing us with certificates to Hooters to be raffled off!

Strippers, well, I can't do too much for you there...Hooter's girls is the best we can provide... Any clubs are welcome to bring out their club's girls, or whatever, just as Elite has done at several shows in the past...just don't let them look skanky. Well...TOO skanky....

Ricers, again, I can't do TOO much to keep them out. Yes, I drive a Honda, but anyone that knows myself, or my car, knows it's far from rice. I'm right there with you...I'm in huge disgust of ricers with 7foot wings on their asses. Actually...a kid in our club had one. I told him he had to remove his park-bench from the rear lid. He did and what-do-ya-know...he said it looked better, too. Hmm...

Also, we're trying to provide a DJ, and get the show registered with (forgive me if I use the wrong initials as audio comp is also not really my gig) IKEA. If that doesn't sound familiar, the best I can tell is it's the original organization that start audio competitions and DB Drags. They've been around for many years, and I've been told if we can make this and IKEA (again, forgive me if this is wrong) it's known to attract competitors from across the nation because it will be a national points event. Again, I don't know for sure if we'll get the organization, but we ARE trying.

Please throw out more ideas as this is VERY helpful to anyone looking to host a show...

The Ren
01-12-2007, 07:13 AM
Mike to be honest.. Every SELOC meet I go to. The cars that I have seen come hang at some of the meets this past year just make me think.. Damn I gatta step it up and refire that passion I have inside to make my car better for me. I love the attitude of all the people there and no one does stupid shit. The attendees are so welcoming of any new peeps and I honestly look foward to them every month.. I am most definatly upset Im missing it this month, and hope the supra meet the next weekend will suffice.

05Tib
01-12-2007, 08:41 AM
the Varsity was good in the summer when people were home from college and had time/money to go

kittychick
01-12-2007, 08:59 AM
I loved the BBQ that BattleGround hosted (was it two years ago now?). It was low key- but tons of nice cars showed up.
I don't think it was officially a "show" but you could feel the crowd was pleased; everyone was really checking out the cars each person brought and making positive comments.

*oh- and they had a few cars run on the dyno... that was AWESOME!!

speedminded
01-12-2007, 09:24 AM
I loved the BBQ that BattleGround hosted (was it two years ago now?). It was low key- but tons of nice cars showed up.
I don't think it was officially a "show" but you could feel the crowd was pleased; everyone was really checking out the cars each person brought and making positive comments.

*oh- and they had a few cars run on the dyno... that was AWESOME!!Just about any event at a performance based shop is going to be better than the rest and generally the make/model specific meets draw the cleanest cars...

As for shows, hybrid events seem to be successful: draws a variety of cars, some good, some...err, "need improvement" but whether it's a dyno day, drag, or drift at least there's a little something for everyone. :2cents:

...and yes, there needs to be good food involved :D

EvasiveEF9
01-12-2007, 09:31 AM
So would everyone prefer the idea of my club throwing out the idea of a show, and just hold a meet where you can pay to run a DB drag? We could arrange plaques for the top three in a couple classes of DB drag...numbers don't lie, so no one can bitch about "bad judging"

Also, something we were looking was why trophies and awards would be given. We're hooking up with Hooters for our show and they require some $$ off every contestant, and we would definitly have to charge for the DB comps because that equipment doesn't come free. What we could do is not hold an actual show, but just say 5-10$ to get in, and another 10$ if you want to run the DB or something along those lines, but no trophies would be given. With this we could still hold a raffle, the DB drag, food would still be available, and everyone could have a good time.

Basically it'd be this...
Hooters meet in Canton
X$ to get in
X+10$ for DB drag and entry
Raffle (one included with entry fee, additionals available for $)
No trophies would be given out for show
Plaques given out for certain classes in DB drag
DJ Would be there, still
AudioTrix would be there still
Hooters would be there still

Tell me what you think so I can get the planning done now!

300zx
01-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I would like to know. My club, The Maxx Autosport is throwing a show inside at Lagrange, GA. There will be drifting in the lot if possible. Show inside, beer, models, grill, after party. But what makes it stand out from the rest? Mainstreams dyno day is terrific, something that was new to me. But what else? Our show should be sometime Early May this year. I need advise.

srtowner
01-12-2007, 11:38 AM
I like the occasional car specific meet but I really love the open to everyone meets. Open even to the ricers, I mean we need someone to make fun off at the meets.

imbosile
01-12-2007, 11:56 AM
My other favorite annual show is the Ga Tech Car Show because it is always a bunch of cleanly modified cars as well as prototypes/concepts and racecars that have been developed by Tech grads.

I'm looking forward to that one too, last year there were some amazing cars. F40, Enzo, GT, the list goes on and I can't wait for this years

EvasiveEF9
01-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Well, we can try to get some of those out to our fun shows...I just don't know how to contact them, haha.

Keep up the ideas and suggestions...

Sibious
01-12-2007, 12:36 PM
SELOC meets FTW, ill try and make it to the next mike. something always comes up.

kittychick
01-12-2007, 12:37 PM
you could ask Luda to show up ;)

Brett
01-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Any meet that people can come to and just be fuckin normal!! Not do the stupid ass attention whore burnouts and do everything they can think of to cause outside people to "Look Our Way". We have lost so many meet locations over the past 5 years because of dumb ass people who come out.

And a meet without any idiot kids who do all the above as well is a great meet.

EvasiveEF9
01-12-2007, 01:10 PM
That's something we will have ABSOLUTELY no tolerance for this year. No stupid revving without reasoning (IE, someone asks you "what does that exhaust sound like?" Sure, start it up, revv once or twice...but that's it. No pointless shit.) No "drifting". No burnouts. No pointless continuously loud music. (Obviously, some people need to for DB or if someone asks how some speakers sound, sure. Otherwise...not everyone agrees on the same music, and we don't need "my car's louder" battles going on...)

We had a problem with one or two people last year leaving their audio on for pretty much the whole show, we had some guy show up thinking he should drift the parking lot, and another guy who kept starting up his car in revving it. All will remain nameless... This year, this will NOT be tolerated, and they WILL be asked to leave without refund.

thinkfast®
01-12-2007, 01:25 PM
CHARGING A ENTRY FEE ISNT GONNA CUT IT HOMEY.. WE (OBSESSION CC) THROW PICNICS/BBQS/CHARITY SHOWS THROUGHOUT THE YEAR, WE JUST HAD ONE OF OUR MORE SUCCESSFUL ONES AT HOOTERS AND TOYS FOR TOTS.. A HUGE TURNOUT, LOT OF LOWRIDERS AND IT WAS FOR A GOOD CAUSE. ITS NOT IMPOSSIBLE TO THINK YOU CAN THROW A GOOD SHOW, BUT YOU GOTTA KEEP IT SIMPLE

NOT TRYNA DISCOURAGE YOU BUT PEOPLE ARE NOT TRYNA PAY TO GO LOOK AT CARS, FOOD IS ONE THING, CHARGE THEM FOR THAT BUT IM NOT GOIN TO A LOCAL CAR SHOW AND PAYIN WHEN I CAN SEE CLEANER CARS AT MY CAR CLUB MEETING

JUST A THOUGHT

Brett
01-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Hey Ricky, I should have my car back mid Febuary, when is your crew throwing the next show? I hated that I had to miss it since my car was down for the season.

thinkfast®
01-12-2007, 01:34 PM
SHIT HOMEY, WE TRYIN TO GET TOGETHER W/ OUR TAMPA CHAPTER, PROBABLY MARCH (WE GOT A LOWRIDER SHOW COMIN UP FEB 11TH IN MIAMI)

YOU ARE WELCOME TO COME DOWN TO MIA W/ US, WE GONNA HAVE MAD HOODRATS AND ALREADY GOT STRIPPERS COMIN FROM THE KITTY KAT CLUB DOWNTOWN, PLUS LOW LOWS GALORE, ITS GONNA BE NUTS

thinkfast®
01-12-2007, 01:36 PM
DONT WORRY I WONT TELL LEISA

WHAT HAPPENS IN 305

STAYS IN 305 (AND SOME PICS ON IA) LOL

Brett
01-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Man I tell you what, I miss the days of livin in the 305!!! had some good times growin up there.

Keep me in the loop on your shows, cause I really wanted to back you all up at the show you just did

Leisa
01-12-2007, 01:42 PM
DONT WORRY I WONT TELL LEISA

WHAT HAPPENS IN 305

STAYS IN 305 (AND SOME PICS ON IA) LOL

shut up Ricky.... I dont have Brett on a ball and chain, he does what he wants to..

Brett
01-12-2007, 01:46 PM
~Slaps Ricky On The Back~

Your on your own here buddy!!!

~runs~

EvasiveEF9
01-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Alright, I'd love to go without charging entry fee, but Hooters still wants some money for every car that comes. I assume this is to make up for all the cars that come and DON'T eat. How'd you pull off your success at hooters? I'd love to hear ideas...

Leisa
01-12-2007, 01:53 PM
~Slaps Ricky On The Back~

Your on your own here buddy!!!

~runs~

hahahahaha

thinkfast®
01-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Alright, I'd love to go without charging entry fee, but Hooters still wants some money for every car that comes. I assume this is to make up for all the cars that come and DON'T eat. How'd you pull off your success at hooters? I'd love to hear ideas...

WELL WE WERE WORKIN W/ THEM, AND THE MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE THERE ACTUALLY DID EAT LOL.. THEY JUST SECTIONED OFF THEIR PARKING LOT FOR US AND WE ROLLED IN, HAD A COUPLE CARS IN THE VERY FRONT TO LET IT BE KNOWN... I MEAN IF YOU LOOK AT IT HOOTERS IN WINNIN REGARDLESS, PEOPLE THAT ARE AT THE SHOW ARE GONNA GET HUNGRY, THEY CANT EXACTLY TAKE THEIR CAR IN AND OUT, AND THE EXTRA ATTENTION IN THE PARKING LOT IS GONNA ATTRACT MORE PEOPLE, WHICH MAY COME IN TO DINE TOO.. I THINK THATS GREEDY IF THEY ARE CHARGING YOU OFF TOP, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT DEAL YOU WORKED OUT

thinkfast®
01-12-2007, 02:18 PM
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/5179/1ea4.jpg

Tracy
01-12-2007, 02:22 PM

*oh- and they had a few cars run on the dyno... that was AWESOME!!

thinkfast®
01-12-2007, 02:45 PM
AW NO SHIT, I THOUGHT THAT BTLGRND FIESTA WAS FOR NAKED PICS OF TRACY AND FREE SECKS, BOY WAS I WRONG.. TRACY HAD A THING FOR YA BOY THINKFAST THO

RIGHT TRACY?? RIGHT??????

Stormhammer
01-12-2007, 02:46 PM
personally - well, the Starquestclub meets - especially the larger ones - yeah, its all the same car but - its NEVER a show - ever - its more like a meet - and we do things like go to the dragstrip, hit a track, go dynoing, or go cruising up in the mountains ( we got a big meet like this coming up in spring ) or like a meet in Pigeon Forge

but from there, its really the people that make a show great. I've been to some IA meets and its cool and all but if you dont know anyone, nobody is going to really talk to you ( save for Toni who came up to me and was like YOU LOOK LIKE ETHAN EMBRY! and Ren ) - but really the people - the SQ meets I've been to, its always food, hospitable, EVERYONE talks to everyone, and we're always tuning or tinkering on the cars, everyone helps out, BSes, and as EP3sAreFun put it once - when you get a Starion, you don't join a club, you get a family

thinkfast®
01-12-2007, 02:47 PM
HEY I'LL TALK TO YOU MAN

EVEN IF YOU ARE FROM CANADIA

Stormhammer
01-12-2007, 03:26 PM
^^ hell I'd come up to you and check out the bubbletop :D

thinkfast®
01-12-2007, 03:28 PM
AW WHATTA PAL

DO YOU NEED A HUG?

:points over to brett:

Tracy
01-12-2007, 03:29 PM
AW NO SHIT, I THOUGHT THAT BTLGRND FIESTA WAS FOR NAKED PICS OF TRACY AND FREE SECKS, BOY WAS I WRONG.. TRACY HAD A THING FOR YA BOY THINKFAST THO

RIGHT TRACY?? RIGHT??????

Uhhhh no. It was more like I had a thing for your dog ;)

thinkfast®
01-12-2007, 03:31 PM
OH SNaP TRACY YOU GONNA CALL MY PERRA OUT LIKE THAT, SHE AINT EVEN AROUND NO MORE, THE BITCH TOOK EVERYTHING FROM ME

SHE CLEANED ME OUT MAAAAN!!!! CMON EVEN THE DOG, WHAT DID I DO???

Tracy
01-12-2007, 03:34 PM
OH SNaP TRACY YOU GONNA CALL MY PERRA OUT LIKE THAT, SHE AINT EVEN AROUND NO MORE, THE BITCH TOOK EVERYTHING FROM ME

SHE CLEANED ME OUT MAAAAN!!!! CMON EVEN THE DOG, WHAT DID I DO???

Oh damn. Yur dog is gone? I had no idea. What happened?

Julio
01-12-2007, 03:38 PM
it will never be the same..... Im honestly looking foward to being 100% done with it. Not there yet.. But soon.. I have a feeling :D

down_shift
01-12-2007, 04:08 PM
only show that ever stood out for me was the X-rated meet like 4 yrs ago. I liked the whole outdoor night event thing.

StupidBikerBoy
01-13-2007, 12:42 PM
you could ask Luda to show up ;)

Dammit!!

I was just about to post that, then I saw your post.:lmfao:

+1

1SICKLEX
01-14-2007, 10:14 PM
it will never be the same..... Im honestly looking foward to being 100% done with it. Not there yet.. But soon.. I have a feeling :D
Care to elaborate? Your opinion is greatly valued.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and wow, thanks for the comments about SELOC.

Tank
01-14-2007, 10:24 PM
ive never been to any of the shows or meets since ive been in atl "2 years" one reason i was deployed and the other i just keep hearing horror stories about them especially the varsity. i will make more effort to attend more shows and meets like teh seloc i though was a lexus only thing but i guys supras are allowed also "i seriously enver knew" and drift furies and dyno days but to me a good show would be one with show /performance aspects................and good food.

Drew

ahmonrah
01-14-2007, 10:35 PM
i'll be therei'll bring the strippers
http://www.wiltshiretaekwondo.com/Punch.gif