PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt Motor

92GSR
06-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Anyone know a shop where I can get a B17 rebuilt for a resonable price?Im not rich :crazy: )
Southside of the city if possible.
Im sick of sitting on my car in the garage.

Vteckidd
06-14-2005, 12:17 PM
wht do you want done, just a stock rebuild? whats wrong with it, does it smoke, drop a valve, lose compression? let me know more

92GSR
06-14-2005, 12:37 PM
I think it spun a bearing(Rod).It allready has Type R pistons in it and the head is done.I just need a reliable bottom end to go with it.This si the second time its tore up the bearings.Might have a bad block, Im not sure but its driving me nuts.

Vteckidd
06-14-2005, 01:16 PM
I think it spun a bearing(Rod).It allready has Type R pistons in it and the head is done.I just need a reliable bottom end to go with it.This si the second time its tore up the bearings.Might have a bad block, Im not sure but its driving me nuts.
well if you tore up bearings twice, then it tells me its an oil pressure problem. IE bad oil pump, or you forgot to put the oil control orifice in the block when the head was removed.

You have 2 options:
1) Find an LS block for cheap, make sure it has a crank and rods. Put ITR or B16 pistons on it, since you want reliability, i would go with new oil pump, bearings, and do a bore and hone with new pistons. Put ARP rod bolts in the rods so you can rev it.

Ls block and Crank-B18B $300ish used
ITR Pistons/PR3 B16 Pistons- our nopi Topline catalog is your friend ;)
Itr Oil pump-$95
ACL Race Bearings-$100
Bore/Hone from Scots Machine Shop-$140
Arp Rod Bolts-Check the E-Cat dawg!
Recondition Rods-$70
Assemble Motor-$500 ( i normally charge $650)
that is balancing and blueprinting the block, i do it all in house, i do not send it out third party. PM 99SI we balanced and blueprinted his b16 and built it. it revs to 9500rpms and compression on it is high, it revs like a motorcycle :)

We'll talk about pulling the old motor out and swapping it over later since you want to keep your head.

2) Buy a LOW mileage GSR block, slap your head on it, and ride out.
GSR Block-$500-700
GSR Timing Belt-$70
GSR Water Pump-$55
Headgasket-$65

DONE

ill see what i can find. the LSVTEC would be more powerfull due to the 89mm stroke vs the 87mm GSR stroke. and youd have more compression out of the pistons. but it also costs alot more to FULLY build a motor than to just put a stock GSR in it. why you have the chance i would stay away from the B16. you have a DA, you need TQ aka 1.8l