PDA

View Full Version : Not happy with gateway or best buy....

The Ren
01-10-2007, 05:35 PM
I have been on the phone with gateway and bestbuy all afternoon for my laptop which was supposed to be back in november. I bought the computer at best buy and they send it off to gateway. I have been talking to bestbuy about it and since nov 20th they said they have been waiting on parts.. The entire bottom melted while it was sitting on my desk and was disformed all the way up to the hinges.. I finally called gateway today and I ended up talking to a very rude guy who told me it wasnt the battery or the cpu (because neither would melt the entire bottom) , so it MUST have been some external heat source I used.. and that I would be responsable for all the charges.. I then asked to talk to a supervisor and which point he told me that even a supervisor couldnt do anything t help me and he hung up on me.. I then called back and waited 20 minutes and talked to the guy who is currently helping me... and he has no idea where the computer even is... im soo frusrated.

Kyle
01-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Mistake one buying a gateway.

~The_Duke~
01-10-2007, 05:44 PM
I dont like laptops, I cant build my own...

RandomGuy
01-10-2007, 05:45 PM
lolol pwnd

The Ren
01-10-2007, 05:45 PM

Well the computer im typing on now is a dell and it got a registry virus.. So I wanted to try a different brand.. I will never ever buy from best buy or gateway again as i am so pissed and tired of getting the run around.. This pathetic.. and feels like $1700 down the drain..

Maniaç
01-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Umm......

Kyle
01-10-2007, 05:46 PM
I love laptops. I take mine pretty much everywhere. And when class sucks, I stop taking notes on it and flip over to IA, Autotrader, VWvortex, or whatever. GTwireless FTW.

Kyle
01-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Well the computer im typing on now is a dell and it got a registry virus.. So I wanted to try a different brand.. I will never ever buy from best buy or gateway again as i am so pissed and tired of getting the run around.. This pathetic.. and feels like $1700 down the drain..

OMG you paid $1700 for a gateway laptop? My Mac was $1300 and it's amazing. But if you ever get your money back and don't want a mac get a vaio.

~The_Duke~
01-10-2007, 05:50 PM
I dont like macs, but their laptops are alot better than most windows ones...

The Ren
01-10-2007, 05:53 PM
OMG you paid $1700 for a gateway laptop? My Mac was $1300 and it's amazing. But if you ever get your money back and don't want a mac get a vaio.

I got alot of upgrades.. but I immediatly regret the decision

Wurm
01-10-2007, 06:00 PM
I dont like laptops, I cant build my own...
sure you can its just not cost effective

Wurm
01-10-2007, 06:01 PM
friends dont let friends buy gateways

*conclusion*

You need some new friends

Deaf Pimp
01-10-2007, 06:05 PM

So the Dell has a registry virus... and you go out and buy a Gateway? I deal with Dell everyday as it's one of our partners. I've never had a problem getting them out to repair or provide assistance for our clients. I can't say the same for Gateway. I've had to deal with them for a server purchase a client made... and they were HORRIBLE!

GIXXERDK
01-10-2007, 06:06 PM
+1

The Ren
01-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Well after calling bestbuy again and getting the service number.. I called the warehouse in KY... Apparently they had to order pretty much a brand new computer is parts (top cover,keyboard,motorboard,cpu,bottom cover, back cover, etc...) and are just waiting for the top cover to come in. All the other 15+ parts have been arriving this past week. The top cover came in today and the guy told me they will be putting my computer back together tommorow & Friday and doing a diagnotics on it by Mon or Tue. If everything goes good I should have my computer back next week...

The Ren
01-10-2007, 06:14 PM
So the Dell has a registry virus... and you go out and buy a Gateway? I deal with Dell everyday as it's one of our partners. I've never had a problem getting them out to repair or provide assistance for our clients. I can't say the same for Gateway. I've had to deal with them for a server purchase a client made... and they were HORRIBLE!

Well I have a Dell 4500S Desktop I got 5 years ago when I graduated high school.. I have had lots of problems with it and the final straw was when I got a registry virus and lost most of my stuff on here.. and it was out of warrenty.. So I decided I needed a new computer and wanted a laptop.. I decided I wanted a desktop replacer in a laptop and something with a fairly fast processor for all the pictures and photoshopping I do on my computer. I went to Best buy and talked to someone (a person i used to be friends with and no longer talk to) and as a "friend" they recommended this computer as the BEST ONE that best buy had at the time.. Since I am pretty clueless on computers and this person worked with computers.. I believed them and bought it..

I am also upset about best buy cause Scott got an ipod from them last year which ended up going haywire and replaced it with another ipod which now is having problems. They sent it off saying it would be fixed and he got it back and its still having problems.. They told him that he would have to send it off 2 more times for them to replace it with a new ipod or something comprable (video ipod or such)...

ksinao
01-10-2007, 06:40 PM
i have an HP desktop, and have never had a problem.

scttydb411
01-10-2007, 11:33 PM
how long have you had the laptop? did you purchase "their replacement warranty".

i think i would be climbing the chain of command at best buy itself to get some resolution to this. who is going to have a laptop on some external heatsource that melts the bottom of it? no one. that was a stupid thing for that tech to say...idiot. anyone that's used a laptop while it's on their lap can attest for the heat they generate and a lot of them have actually left real burns on peoples legs to the point they now issue warnings...and this isn't attributed to the "battery" issues of exploding and causing fires either.

good luck.

Dudeman
01-10-2007, 11:37 PM
if you would have gotten one from circuit city you would have had it replaced no questions. our policy on such problems is that, because ive seen people drop the laptop in store but having the warranty got them a new one. also gateways are the last ones i sell anyone, they are right above an emachine. if you need any help feel free to pm me and ill see if i can help.

Hulud
01-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Mistake two buying a computer from best buy

BlkCD5
01-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Yea, when my HP messed up, which i also bought at best fucked over, they said they couldn't do anything. I"ll never buy a comp from them again. If you do have to, get the warranty.

Red
01-10-2007, 11:44 PM
I work for the Geek Squad and sometimes when we ship things off it's really out of our control. Now I can totally understand when my customers get mad for not having there unit for months which is where I come in and I usually talk to my managers and get the customer taken care of. It's all about who you deal with. I'm sorry for your bad experience but don't think all best buys are like that. You just got served some bad customer service.

Hulud
01-10-2007, 11:46 PM
I work for the Geek Squad and sometimes when we ship things off it's really out of our control. Now I can totally understand when my customers get mad for not having there unit for months which is where I come in and I usually talk to my managers and get the customer taken care of. It's all about who you deal with. I'm sorry for your bad experience but don't think all best buys are like that. You just got served some bad customer service.
which is what best buy is known for

Red
01-10-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm sorry you're had problems but you can't judge every store every deparment the same. Some customers are just really unrealistic and demanding as well.

Hulud
01-10-2007, 11:55 PM
I'm sorry you're had problems but you can't judge every store every deparment the same.
im not judging, im going off facts from many many many people

corporate best buy does not care enough about their customers

Some customers are just really unrealistic and demanding as well.
trust me i know, i work in retail

anyways im off for the night

btw check this site http://www.bestbuysux.org/

Dudeman
01-10-2007, 11:57 PM
we had some geek squad guys in circuit city yesterday buying stuff and asking questions lol

babygurl
01-11-2007, 12:50 AM
threaten to sue :)

Stormhammer
01-11-2007, 04:09 AM

download this

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5

install it, update it, and run a full scan :goodjob: me, my boss, and every single one of our customer's computers have it ( we WILL uninstall Norton and McAfee if you haven't paid for it, and even then, sometime will will do it regardless to get rid of the virus )

while your at it

Spybot Search And Destroy

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

AdAware

http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html

download, install and update those 3 and run their scans :goodjob:

The Ren
01-11-2007, 06:19 AM
Once I talked to the place in KY (the geeksquad headquarters?) they were very helpful and got me the answers I was looking for.. I think I was more upset with Gate way and the dude being so rude to me and then hanging up on me..

Doppelgänger
01-11-2007, 10:15 AM
+1 for dealing with Dell, actually, im talking with them right now about replacing various parts on about 20 laptops that came in off lease.

I have a Dell c400 thats works great... hell, its faster then most home computers :)

Dell is good.... as is compaq/hp

But it sounds like the power adapter isnt the right one for the laptop. I know when i put a higher amp. charger on a laptop here, even if its a short time.. it gets really hot.